CHAPTER THREE

song: kill the lights by The Glorious Songs 

VICTORIA'S POV:

The next morning was rough.

As expected, I hadn't really been able to fall back asleep and spent the remainder of the night tossing and turning with Sam sound asleep in her own bed, blissfully unaware.

Like always, I was up before she was and took that alone time to take my morning shower and freshen up with the few toiletries we were given since personal hygiene items were often scarce too.

Before the outbreak happened, in high school I had loved makeup.

The ability to be able to change your entire appearance with only a few products baffled me and I often thought of it as a form of art.

But now, there was no time for luxuries like that.

Unless you were willing to use a hefty portion of your weekly camp allowance to pay for some possibly illegally obtained items.

Which is exactly what I did.

A few weeks ago, some adults had stumbled upon a random, unopened case of makeup products in some warehouse on a supply gathering mission and had impulsively brought it back to base.

The items were all ridiculously overpriced in the camp store but I had been stockpiling a majority of my allowance for months now and when I saw a single tube of mascara and concealer in what, by some miracle, was my exact shade, I snatched them up.

I rarely ever used either product because I was too nervous that I would end up wasting them somehow but at the moment I found myself staring back at my dripping wet reflection after my shower, I decided I should.

Maybe it was because of how tired my eyes looked or how red and blotchy my skin seemed after tossing and turning through the night, but I wanted to use them.

Or maybe it's because you need a little courage to talk to Daniel today. I thought to myself as I reached for the black mascara tube sitting on the counter.

Yeah, that too.

~~~~~

The second I saw Daniel walk into the dining hall from where Sam and I were seated eating our breakfast, I regretted everything about last night and this morning.

He looks pissed.

Like seriously 'smash a vase against a wall and then punch a hole through it' kind of pissed.

"Uh oh." I hear Sam mutter from across the table and I look back at her, sensing the panic in each other's eyes.

In moments, Daniel has made his way over to the side of the table and has placed his palms down on it, towering the rest of his body over mine so his face is leaning in towards me. His eyes have that dark, clouded look to them and his shoulders are clenched far too tight.

"Hi, Tori." He spits out. "Care to have that talk now?"

I try to swallow the lump I feel growing in my throat, my mouth feeling very dry all of a sudden.

He just looks so angry.

"Listen I-" I start to say but Sam interrupts me.

"Yo Daniel." She says standing up from her seat. "Take a chill pill."

"Fuck off Sam." He spits in her direction and for a minute, I feel the air around us go still.

I feel a few of the sets of eyes around us turn to face him and I am unbelievably mortified now. Never has he ever talked to Sam like that before and I can see the complete shock on her face too.