1 | tears on my cheek

" Once women find sisterhood, there's nothing stronger

" Once women find sisterhood, there's nothing stronger."

- Zoe Kravitz

✰✰✰

" Hazel!"

" Hazel!"

" Hazel!"

" Hazel!" Catherine yelled, her voice strained, as she cupped her hands around her mouth, calling out for the sniper, her heart racing. Hazel hadn't been in her foxhole with Shifty and after the shellings she was no where.

" Hazel!" Catherine yelled again. Catherine's hands were shaking.

" Hazel?" Catherine whispered, her voice shattering into shards like a vase on concrete.

" Lieutenant McCown." a voice said and Catherine looked over her shoulder to see Gene there, body ridged, eyes firm and cold. Her heart sank into her chest.

" What? What it is? Did you find Hazel?" Catherine said, taking a few steps towards Gene. Gene met her eyes, his lips formed into a thin line across his pale face.

" Gene." she whispered.

" Follow me." he said simply before turning. 

Catherine froze for a moment before eventually gaining her footage and hurrying after Gene. 

As the duo walked through the trees, Catherine began to see people standing in a huddled group, talking quickly. There was yelling, there were frantic calls, and there was the sound of an oncoming jeep in the distance. With each step grief filled Catherine's system and more tears threatened to rush to her eyes. 

No, no, no, she kept whispering to herself. 

This wasn't how it had to be.

This wasn't what it was going to be. 

As they rounded the corner to the clearing, Catherine's heart caught in her throat. 

It was Hazel. 

She was lying on her back, hands limply pressed against the side of her chest, face too ungodly pale for Catherine's liking, eyelids gently shut over the blue brightness that was usually underneath. Catherine's knees went to jello as she watched Lizzie, working dutifully to wrap the wound pierced in Hazel's side. There were others there, mostly medics, but Catherine noticed Foley there, as well as Lip, Malarkey, Tab and Shifty all talking softly together. Catherine watched Gene gently bend down next to Lizzie and begin to help her as a jeep slowly began to drive up through the snow patches. Catherine's heart stopped. That's when she met Lip's eyes and the man was already making his way over towards her, picking up his pace as he watched the Lieutenant crumble into pieces.

" Lip, no, please she can't be, please, please! Lip NO!!" Catherine cried, as the tears crawled down her face as she collapsed into his arms, shaking and trembling, sobs crawling past her chapped lips and into his shoulder.