32 | the good and the bad

" Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place

" Sometimes when things are falling apart they may actually be falling into place."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

The following day was the 2nd, and the anniversary of D-Day was nearing them, big time, which meant someone was going home in that lottery. And if it was who Hazel thought it would be, she made sure she spent as much time with Shifty as she could. He was one of her closest friends and she couldn't bear to see him leave, even though she knew he'd be safe in the end. So that morning, Hazel popped into where 3rd platoon was and noticed Shifty sitting on his bed, pulling his socks up on his feet.

" Shifty!" Hazel said as she entered the room and Shifty turned his head at the sound of his voice.

" Hazel!" Shifty called as he quickly pulled on the rest of his sock before bounding up and the two caught each other in a warm hug. Hazel knew she were counting down the last few days of having Shifty here. But he would be going home, she knew Speirs would do what he could.

" What's up?" he asked as the two pulled back.

" You want to head into town?" she asked him," I heard they have this little antique store that I think we might like." Shifty grinned.

" And even better," Hazel said, " I saw one of those horse antiques in the window."

" Really?!" Shifty said as his eyes widened.

" Yes!" Hazel said and Shifty just about lost it. He turned grabbing his OD top.

" Let's go," he said and the two raced out like children.

Shifty flung open the door and Hazel flew threw before they were out in the sunlight of Austria, with the beautiful mountains cascading around them, the blue lake shimmering below, the white, puffy clouds above hanging just enough for parts to have enough shade, and the little homes, the brightest they had been.

The two sharpshooters hurried down towards where Hazel had seen the antique store and they both skidded to a stop, or more like Hazel skidding into Shifty. Shifty was better on his feet than Hazel was. The two caught each other and then looked up at the store.

" Wow," Shifty said and Hazel nodded, " how'd you even find this place?" Hazel grinned.

" You can thank Joe Liebgott for dragging me to the local chocolate shop." she said and Shifty laughed. They headed inside and were immediately hit by a home-like warmth all around.

" Ello!" a voice called, and it was a young woman behind the counter, waving. Shifty and Hazel waved before they began exploring.

But the horse antique was first.

Hazel led Shifty to the front window, which smelled as if it were sunshine, that poured through the window and carefully pulled the horse antique into her arms before handing it to Shifty. Shifty took it and held it up to the light with big eyes.