40 | operation virago: out to the world

" Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back

" Behind every successful woman is a tribe of other successful women who have her back."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

Catherine had vied to take on this task alone, even though Hazel and Lizzie would be up in the front of the stage with her. The media was licking for any sort of information about this operation that had been hidden for years from the public, waiting for any ounce of worthy news.

But Catherine was determined to give them the straight, cold hard truth.

Catherine stood in the mirror, adjusting her Camp Athene medal on her jacket as she bit back her lip in concentration. All night she had lied awake, knowing exactly word for word what she wanted to say to these media members.

The truth.

Nothing but the truth and even if they still wouldn't believe it, she'd know in her heart that it'd be true. George watched her from the bed as she got ready, sitting back, as she adjusted everything on her uniform, from smoothing out her skirt, to the pristine Lieutenant bar on her collar and her cover, to the Jump Wings, that were straight at 180 horizontal degrees. Catherine stared at herself finally.

This is who the media would see, a woman who had been through war, 3 women who had been through war, 250 women who had been through war.

" What do you think they'll say?" George asked her. Catherine shrugged, adjusting her cap on her head, as she smoothed her hand around her perfect bun.

" I won't be surprised if it's dead quiet." she said honestly, before stepping back from the mirror and setting a soft smile on her lips as she walked over, sitting down next to where George currently sat up in the bed.

" You look nice," George said with a gentle smile and Catherine smiled at him. To even just hear that, made her heart warm, especially from George. It wasn't that she was smokin', or hot, or anything like that, just a simple comment that let her know, George appreciated her. It didn't take much, especially with George, when she knew they had each other's trust.

" I really hope this makes a change," Catherine said, " to show women, that we're powerful, we're strong, we're brave, courageous, full of fearlessness, we're leaders, with caring minds, and we know our emotions better than anyone, we don't need someone else to tell us for them. I'm just...I'm ready to show people that women, we can be strong, stronger than you think." George watched her softly, his gaze gentle, watching her own empowered one.

" I have no doubt you'll put each and every one of them in their place either," George said and Catherine smiled softly as George slowly slid in beside her, feet dangling off the bed.

" You know I'll support you through anything," George said softly, " truly." Catherine met his gaze and smiled softly at him.

" Thanks, George," she whispered back gently. George was truly a blessing, someone she loved more sometimes than herself, she just wanted him happy. And him expressing his quiet thoughts, made her heart pulse. Catherine softly kissed his cheek before giving a quiet smile up at him.