51 | pierogis

" I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, but if every single one had to happen to make sure I was right here, right now, to meet you, then I forgive myself for all of them

" I've made a lot of mistakes in my life, but if every single one had to happen to make sure I was right here, right now, to meet you, then I forgive myself for all of them." 

- K. Towne Jr. 

✰✰✰

" It smells delicious, Mom." Hazel said with tired eyes as her and Joe entered the warm, glowing home again. Joe briefly glanced towards the fireplace mantle and saw a picture of a young, toothy grinning Hazel on it. Joe grinned as he followed Hazel to the table.

" This looks amazing, Lena." Joe said and Lena smiled at the two.

" I try," she said and the trio chuckled. Hazel and Joe sat side by side across from Lena, who pulled the food open in front of her.

" It took a bit longer if you couldn't tell, I haven't cooked for three people in a long time." Lena said, " Of course, I had the Willis' over sometimes and then Harry, then the Johnsons' and a few others, but never every night."

" It's Pierogis," Hazel said, " Mom has them homemade, filled with a bunch of fillings, bunch of toppings. They were my favorite as a kid - and of course with cheese."

" Well count me in," Joe said and both Lena and Hazel grinned looking at Joe. 

Scooping Pierogis out to everyone, Hazel decided to tell one of the funnier, more light-hearted stories from their time in Aldbourne, when both her and Joe almost missed PT because of something HE supposedly did, even though Joe swore it was Hazel's fault. 

And that got Lena laughing, her booming, jolly laugh. 

And then there was a Bill Guanrnere story or two as well as a Lewis Nixon one and of course a George Luz one. And then a Lizzie and Tab rendition and then a Smokey Gordon one. 

And each time Lena saw the light glowing in both Joe and Hazel's eyes as they couldn't help but talk excitedly over one another, telling the story with more and more excitement each time, and then proceeding to laugh together, nearly wheezing, gripping onto each other, before Hazel let her cheeks turn pink. Lena thought it was hilarious and completely adorable.

" You know," Hazel said leaning forward, her arms crossed on the table curled up into her burning red face," one day, I was able to wake up Joe as if I were jump starting a car?" Joe let out a chuckle, squeezing his eyes shut as Lena laughed clapping her hands together.

" Jump start? Is that what were going to call it?" Joe asked Hazel as Hazel snickered shaking her head.

" What else would you call it?" Hazel asked through a gasping laugh.

" Not jump starting," Joe said before him and Hazel burst into laughs, " more like scaring me awake." Hazel giggled.

" It was funny, Mom, I promise and even Wild Bill got a picking or two in on the conversation." Hazel said and her mother chuckled.