Second Chance

Allana hadn't the stomach to watch the testimony. Instead, she stayed with the others in the corridor, chatting and making political small talk while occasionally giving the holo-screens mounted on the wall a nervous glance.

She had been away from politics for so long, and yet it was in her blood all the same. She still knew the coy smiles, the sharp and enchanting games with words. How to say nothing with as many words as possible.

It was a second nature, easier than the Jedi she'd been raised as. Or would have. Her training had only just started, and she would have been assigned a master to study under soon.

But then the Purge happened.

Allana blinked. She saw something familiar, in her peripheral vision. She suddenly smelled the Hapan blossoms of Madrassa.

She turned to see a figure in a lacy white cloak weaving in and out— dark green eyes locked onto Allana's face.

"Vanya?" Allana whispered as the handmaiden approached.

"Amelia, you have to come with me, now," Vanya hissed as she fell into place at Allana's side.

"Why? What are you doing here? Are the others here?"

Vanya's voice dropped into a whisper so low that Allana strained to hear it, even with the Force amplifying her senses.

"Tenel Ka is here."

Allana's eyes widened.

"Take me to her, now."

"Gladly." Vanya grabbed Allana's wrist and tugged her along, to one of the lower-level corridors. In a room once used for backdoor negotiations like Bail Organa and Padme Amidala.

The mid-day sun shone through the simulated slats in the window, which barely dimmed the glare. Inside of the room was a long table. Along the sides sat all of the Handmaidens of the Chume'da, all clad in robes of white lace with scarlet gowns peeping through. While they all looked fairly similar, there were enough minute details that registered as a sort of white noise to the eye that made the similarities less suspicious, unlike with the handmaidens to the Queen on Naboo.

Members of the Chume'doro in their finest armor lined the walls and the doors to the chamber, making it impenetrable to all would-be assassins.

At the head of the table, however, sat none other than the Queen Mother herself. A seat next to Tenel Ka Djo remained open. Vanya hurried to her seat, avoiding eye-contact with the queen.

It had been about a standard month since Allana had last laid eyes on Tenel Ka Djo. Despite her stoic features, there was something amused about her lips, playing at her icily beautiful features.

Clad in a violet silk gown with dragons embroidered onto the skirt in black, there was a long cloak-like vest made of an olive material that gave her more of the appearance of a military leader. Her crown was subtle and subdued, woven into intricate fiery red braids as was the custom style of the witches of Dathomir of the Singing Mountain Clan.

Every trinket and every style choice worn by the Queen Mother had a history and a meaning. And Allana knew many of the stories— although not all. And she had not learned them from when she became the princess, but rather, from before, when she would visit with her father.

To others, Tenel Ka's cold gray glare would cut them to their very bones, making them drop and beg for mercy for whatever offense they had committed.

However, Allana knew how to play the game like a Hapan. Tenel Ka and her tutors had taught her well.

She strode over to the remaining chair and sat down.

"Sallan, Your Majesty," Allana said, switching to Hapan. Like her mother, she was good with languages, and had taken to the beautiful, river-rhythmed language with ease.

"I am pleased to see you once again, Amelia," Tenel Ka said. "Even if I dislike being misled and lied to. Your handmaiden, Sansa, did a very good job. Lady Serra had no idea what I was talking about when I asked where you had gone."

"We knew we couldn't fool you, Your Majesty," Allana said, meeting Tenel Ka's gaze. "I apologize for the deception. It was necessary, as I had unfinished business to take care of with my family. You did say that you sent me to find closure in that regard, and I have."

"I did say that." Tenel Ka was merely stating it, no real inflection to it, her eyes unreadable.

Tenel Ka herself was like a misty morning on Ahch-To, mysterious and full of emotions far too old and vulnerable to be named.

"I had to help find my father and rescue my brother, and later my sister, from Darth Keera," Allana said. "I was able to do so, and return the Jedi Order to our home on Tatooine and begin the effort to rebuild what Keera destroyed."

"I had heard about the return of the Jedi and saw the holo-recordings of your sister's escape from New Alderaan," Tenel Ka said. "I had no idea you were involved. Where have you been since then?"

"Looking for my mother," Allana answered. "We thought we found a lead, but fell into a trap from Darth Keera. We were able to escape, however."

"Obviously."

"I then found a message from my mother," Allana finished. "She does not wish to be found right now."

"How curious." Tenel Ka's eyes flicked to the holo-monitor on the wall. "I am truly sorry about Jaina. I had not felt her passing, although I should have. She was a firebrand, a hope to us all."

Allana's throat felt tight as she nodded. "Her ghost managed to contact us— she passed her title and her saber to Nellith."

"So that is what happened at the execution." Tenel Ka's eyes narrowed. "How interesting. It sounds like you've been up to quite the adventure in the past month. And I cannot blame you— you have been doing important work for the Jedi and your family."

"Thank you, Erenedi." Allana bowed her head, secretly breathing a sigh of relief. A part of her had expected Tenel Ka, her parents' friend to understand. But a part of her, the one who had experienced Queen Mother Tenel Ka, feared the worst.

"I see that they are discussing whether or not the Republic will engage your sister's forces in the war," Tenel Ka said. "Do you think they will support a war?"

"Yes." Allana wasn't all that sure, but in her heart, she wanted to believe it.

Tenel Ka nodded, seeming to accept that. "I will speak to the Chancellor before the vote."

Allana nearly leapt out of her chair in excitement. "You'll support them in a war?"

Tenel Ka shook her head. "No, I'll invite both parties to a peace conference. Hapes will open its borders as a broker of peace, not just some fleet of war dragons to be commanded by a foreign power— even if Chancellor Connix would be a worthy woman."

"But you know that the Remnant is evil," Allana protested. "You can't seriously be considering negotiating with the Sith?"

"I can, and I will," Tenel Ka said, her one hand outstretched on the table. She tapped her ring-clad finger with precision. It might have seemed random to another, but Allana recognized the code— her father and Tenel Ka had developed it as children in Luke's failed academy, and Tenel Ka had taught her when she visited, once.

More than I can say, it meant. Trust me.

Despite her misgivings, she wanted to believe that there was indeed more to this ridiculous proposal than there seemed to be on the surface.

Allana swallowed and bowed her head once more. "I will do as you command, Erenedi. I just ask, that before I return to Hapes, that I may return to the Jedi to say goodbye."

"Of course." Tenel Ka's eyes twinkled. "I am not a monster."

No, but we both are dragons, Allana thought.