Chapter 7 | Slimy Green Snake

"I am telling you Dumbledore, he used wandless magic! Summoned a bezoar with his hand!"

"Now, now, Severus, calm down- lemon drop? - Are you certa-

"I SAW IT HAPPENING"

Panting, Snape stood in front of Albus, getting more and more annoyed by the second.

"Just why are you refusing to look into it?"

"My reasons are my own" Dumbledore said sternly, not losing the twinkle behind his glasses, "Are you starting to get concerned about the boy," smiling, his eyes looking knowingly at Severus, "He has Lilly's eyes-"

"About him?! He is arrogant, rude- just like his father. I am concerned, as you put it, with how he had come upon such knowledge!" His voice raising once again, "A first year, coming from the muggle world, knowing what a bezoar is, knowing how to summon it- A fourth year spell! So yes I am concerned- Even more so, by your lack of!"

Snape could have sworn the temperature dropped, masking his features and quickly calming down, he watched the headmaster thinking for a few moments. Not even with years of experience as a spy could he understand what thoughts were floating in that brain of his- what plans he was plotting. Was Harry the main player? Was he himself a pawn? Probably. But weren't they all, in the end? Chess pieces in a game between two powerful wizards.

"I will need you to follow him," Albus said thoughtfully, "The risk is too big, and we cannot lose him. Get closer to him, if you must, find everything there is to know."

Snape's mouth turned into a sneer. He would never get close to that boy. But to watch him- that he could do.

***

In the future Harry would absolutely deny stooping as low as to fall into Malfoy's taunts. But at that moment his pride was preoccupied with getting Neville's stupid memory-something-ball.

It all started a week prier when, with great excitement, it was announced that the first flying lesson would occur- and of course the Gryffindor's would be with the Slytherin's.

"Are they trying to get us all killed or...?" murmured Harry, although looking at the gossiping Lavender and Parvati he could definitely see the appeal. Not for the first time, he wondered what games the headmaster was playing at- putting the two houses together

From his now permanent place next to Harry, Ron said- "Shouldn't you be happy? You are the only one who can stand those slimy green snakes after all". Harry hadn't managed to change his mind about the different houses, not even with Amare, who kept hanging around them. The Slytherin's themselves were partially to blame. There wasn't a more annoying boy than Draco Malfoy. He had the tendency to insult Ron's family and laugh about whatever Harry was doing- and Harry, who was used to much worse, didn't pay attention, but Ron on the other hand, turned bright red and insulted back.