Chapter 13 | I Slept Okay

Harry woke up refreshed the first time in many days

   Harry woke up refreshed the first time in many days. Sleep came slowly and most of the time left quickly, making him feel cranky and tired. As he lay in bed, warm rays of sunshine shone through the window, reminding him of the upcoming summer and lazy days spent outside. No more classes or mysteries or three headed dogs. Just him and Amare.

"Harry! Come downstairs, food is ready!" A cheery voice called out. He sighed and smiled gently, his green eyes almost hazel in the golden light. Stretching, he got up and shot a quick look at the mirror. His hair was a mess and his cheek full of pillow marks. It looked like it was going to be one of those days – days spent doing absolutely nothing and enjoying every second of it.

He jogged down the dark wood stairs, taking two at a time. It was too early yet for the floor to be warm from the hot noon sun. "There you are! I was beginning to think you are going to skip your favorite," Lily exclaimed the moment she saw him. Her hair was sloppily put into a bun, but she made it look oh so elegant- just like everything else she touched.

With a roll of his eyes at her antics he grabbed one pancake from the plate, making her gasp and try grabbing him, only to drop the stolen piece of food right onto the freshly cleaned floor.

"That's for you to clean," she stated as they watched the mess.

"Well, if just let me have my way this would have landed in my stomach- so it is your fault. Technically. "

"You know, the more you grow up the more I think your father managed to exclude me from your genes." Harry faked a hurt expression and Lily looked at him with so much love in her green eyes. His green eyes.

Breakfast was spent in blissful silence only two people truly comfortable with each other could manage. He watched as his mom took small sips of coffee from her cup- the same one he had bought her for mother's day the previous year, and once in a while passed onto the next page of her magazine. With each bite he felt more and more tension leave his body- Tension? Why was he even tense? Everything was so perfect...

"Mom?" he carefully asked. Her straight hair looked like wildfire in the beams of light coming from the small kitchen window. She continued reading the magazine, her delicate lips frozen in a small sad smile.

"Hmm?" Uneasiness settled in his stomach- something was wrong, very wrong. But for the life of him he couldn't remember what!

"Is it okay if Amare comes over tomorrow?" What was he forgetting?

She continued flipping pages, losing interest in the boring topics. "Of course darling. Just make sure you are free in the afternoon- we have plans, remember?" Oh! Of course! He forgot they had plans- how silly of him...

"Yeah, sure, she probably has to go home by then anyway," he shrugged and then frowned, "Do you think Sirius will come with us tomorrow? I know he is busy nowadays." The pancakes were almost demolished by now and Harry felt heavy. Would it be too much to take a nap so soon after waking up?