Chapter Two: The Train Ride

"Breakfast!" My head swings over to the cheery voice that ricashades through my room, accompanied with a brisk knock.

A small sigh leaves my throat. I didn't get an hour of sleep. Instead, I was trying to think of my plan in the arena.

I stand up from my cross-ledges position on the floor and crack my neck, stopping in front of the door to stretch. I've been sitting in the same position for a while. Then, I open the door.

I step into the velvet adorned hallway and turn left, walking for a moment before the hallway turns into a large room. It's a dining room of sorts, well, I suppose it's really a living room. Right now, it's completely occupied with breakfast pastries. The capitol goes all out with their food and this selection is no exception.

I survey the room before making my presence known by walking in and sitting down next to James. I instantly reach for a white mug, filling it with black coffee. I bring the cup to my lips and begin to dip, draining almost all of it. I reach for the coffee pot again.

"Couldn't sleep?"

My head snaps up to see Finnick watching me closely. "I'm sorry?"

"You're drinking a lot of coffee. Most people only do that if they're tired." He elaborates, pointing one of his fingers lazily at my mug.

I set down the pot of coffee and give him a sarcastic toast. "Do you expect me to sleep well?"

The amusement in his face disappears at my offhand comment. He must not get a lot of tributes who make light of the arena.

I snort slightly before turning and glancing at the boy sitting next to me. "James, right?"

His brown eyes flick up to my face. I resist the urge to sigh. He's so perfectly innocent, which means only one thing; I'll be expected to protect him. "Yeah. You're Kai."

"That I am. How old are you?" I offer him a friendly smile.

He hesitates at my question before speaking. "I just turned twelve." There's a very guarded tone to his voice.

James had a right to not trust me. I'll probably end up betraying him, maybe even killing him. Still, I feel an inner need to be nice to him. I've never liked kids and I'm going to be honest; James is not going to survive.

But, he may at least be happy in the days leading up to his death.

"What a mature man." I make my eyes twinkle. James's face changes from suspicious to unsure. He's such a kid; it's so easy to read his emotions. It takes so little to make him feel less afraid of me. "You're quite popular at home, you know."

I don't know; he sure sounded like he was.

My educated guess is correct. James' lips twitch briefly up into a smile but he makes an effort to flatten it almost immediately. "Some people know my parents." Although he keeps his answer vague and inviting for questions, I have no curiosity to find out. I probably wouldn't remember if he told me.

"Don't be modest." I chide gently. My eyes latch onto his empty plate. "You aren't hungry?"

He blinks twice before looking down at the plate. "Oh. I'm oka-"

"Nonsense. Any strong man like you needs to eat well." I set down my mug and reach over, picking up his plate. There is a moment before I recognize one of the pastries on the table.

It's called a green monster. I think it's some sort of sweet icing with a croissant - not entirely sure. Although I don't usually like capitol food, this is definitely the best treat that's here at the moment.

I reach over and place it on his plate before placing it on the table in front of him. "This is my all time favorite capitol baked good. You'll love it."

His eyes travel from me to the green food and then back to my face.

I take a sip of coffee.

After a moment, he picks it up and takes a small bite. He chews slowly for a moment before reaching forward again and taking a much larger bite, cramming his mouth with food.

I chuckle into my mug, taking another sip of coffee, and look up away from James.

Finnick is watching us closely. Mags, on the other hand, is looking straight at my face. When we meet eyes, she lets out a small mumble. "It's nice to see you again." As always, her words are extremely muffled and, to most, seem like nonsense.

Finnick frowns but opens his mouth to translate. "She sa-"

"Nice to see you as well, love." I can almost perfectly understand her. I've had my fair share of mumbling elders; she can still speak fine, although it may be slightly slurred.

Finnick blinks twice. "You've met her?"

"Briefly. She's walked me to reapings before." I smile at Mags. "Mags is one of the kindest people in the district."

Mags lets out a thankful grunt. I glance down to James and bite back a sarcastic I told you so; his entire plate is empty, smeared with green icing.

There is a prolonged period of silence before I reach for the coffee pot again and fill my cup. Then, I stand. "Well, I'm leaving. Nice to meet you, James."

Without waiting for any answers, I turn and shuffle out of the dining room, back into the recesses of my own room.

I'm still slowly going through all my possible options and, for that, I need dead silence. It will take a complicated plan for me to figure out what to do in the arena - and out of it.

|||

The screams are what draws me to open the curtains and, when I do, my jaw nearly drops.

The train has slowed down slightly as we finally enter the Capitol. It's always a sight to behold, a glittering city full of bright lights and overhanging buildings, sleek while at the same time extremely over the top. But, that's not what shocks me.

There is a crowd surrounding the tracks, a large makeup of dolled-up citizens. They're all cheering, their eyes peeled towards the windows. My motion of opening the curtain prompted a louder yell and, after a moment of hesitation, I step forward to be seen more clearly and give a lazy salute to the crowd.

If possible, they get louder.

I keep a smirk on my face as they pass but, inside, delve back into my thoughts.

I think that I've got a plan worked out. It's risky and, in all honesty, quite dumb, but it answers all of my concerns: having a positive image in the public eye, not being controlled by Snow after the games (like Finnick), and keeping my job. Winning is not something that I've really thought of much because, as soon as I consider it, there's almost no way that I don't win - what with my experience.

The first and second things can be solved together, both with a very simple yet extremely dangerous play, involving Snow - someone who you need to tread lightly with.

The last one can only be solved one way. I've never missed a job. My current one, which has to be done in two days, is located right here in the Capitol.

I need to do it and, in order for that to work, I'll need to sneak out of the tribute's building - coincidentally the most secure building in the Capitol. I really don't make things easy, do I?