Chapter Six: The Meeting

I collapse into a seat on the couch, closing my eyes almost immediately. I'm tired as fuck; the second part of the training I decided to attempt archery, something that I cannot do to save my life. I sucked and, even now, still suck.

I feel the couch dip next to me, and there is a moment before Finnick's deep voice disrupts my peaceful bubble of silence - a stark contrast from the rest of the room where, as soon as James entered, conversation started. Orange and Mags have really taken a liking to him, while Finnick seems to be assigned to me. "How was it?"

"Tiring." I mutter back, keeping my eyes closed.

"Do you have any plans for allies?" He asks me.

I open one of my eyes and look at the man sitting next to me briefly. "Why? You want to advise me to be a career? You must have missed the part where I don't care what you want me to do."

I close my eye again as an exasperated sigh leaves Finnick. "You're infuriating-"

"I'll take that as a compliment." I mumble, but he cuts off to hear my response, letting out another loud breath.

"You're going to die quickly, y-"

I hear the ding of the elevator and sit up straight immediately, my eyes snapping open. It must be seven. Next to me, Finnick frowns, standing. "Are you expecting any - Mr. Kelley! What a pleasure."

I blink twice as the head gamemaker steps into our floor. There is a shocked silence that falls over the room as Kelley scans the room. His eyes meet my shocked ones and, when he registers my emotions, a smile flicks across his face. "I come not on my own accord."

"Oh?" Finnick tilts his head to the side.

I stand and exhale, pursing my lips. Snow must want me to come to him; I suppose that was to be expected, although I had hoped that he would be a tad more inconspicuous in retrieving me.

His eyes flick over to my movement. "Do you need Kai?"

"The higher-ups do." Kelley dips his head, spreading his arms in a helpless manner. "It seems that Miss Shields is suspected of sneaking out of her dorm." The words are said in a slightly annoyed manner, and I resist the urge to let out a sarcastic laugh. I must have missed a camera.

Snow might be pissed about that.

"She is?" Finnick turns and gives me a serious look, as if to say "I knew that you did something sketchy." Why can't I have a chill mentor who doesn't care about me or my whereabouts?

"Well, I hope that we can get this sorted quickly." I ignore Finnick completely and look at Kelley, raising my eyebrows. "Can this be solved here or do I have to follow you?"

"I'm afraid that you'll have to come with me, Miss Shields." Kelley hesitates before answering, taking a step backwards and turning to press the button for the elevator.

I walk towards him, ignoring Finnick's heated glare on my figure. Just as I reach Kelley, the elevator doors open and he steps inside, me following closely.

I wait until the elevator doors close to turn to him, chuckling slightly. "You guys caught me?"

"You almost got away with it." An actual laugh bubbles out of his normally stoic face. "But the peacekeeper you knocked out turned you in."

"The peacekeeper? I figured that he'd keep his mouth shut - getting his uniform back and everything." I shake my head, eventually shrugging. "How ignorantly loyal."

"Don't worry; he was dealt with - for letting a trainee leave the building." The elevator dings and Kelley steps off of it, giving me a look.

It's a familiar hallway, the exact one that I zigzagged through yesterday night - and this morning - to leave the building and do my job. This time, however, peacekeepers fall in around us, flanking me and Kelley as we walk. I fall into stride with him, ignoring the guards.