Chapter Eight: The New Me

Alice gives me a lazy smirk as she enters the training room, the doors letting out a burst of cold air once they do.

Today's an important day.

It's our ranking assessments. Each tribute goes in front of the peacemakers and shows off what they do best. Based on their performance, the tributes are given a score out of twelve.

No one has ever gotten that high. The highest ranking is an eleven, last given out fourteen years ago to Jeanette, a winner from District Two. She later went insane from voices in her head - or something. Last I heard she was holed up in her district's Victor's Village with guards keeping her there.

I wasn't sure how Snow was going to decide this - or even if he'd give me instructions on how to act. But - and I'm starting to think that this is our form of communication - sure enough, a folded piece of paper appeared on my bathroom counter with a simple, yet clear message.

I don't look to my left, where James is sitting hunched over.

We haven't spoken since I made him cry. I feel some need to comfort him but, in the end, I know that I can't. My yelling at him could be a wake up call to him - telling him that he needs to make some important allies in order to survive.

The doors hiss open and Jay stands, stalking into the room.

I inhale deeply and then exhale.

A smirk appears on my throat. Snow's directions were pretty general, giving me permission to have some fun with them.

Impress them.

|||

I enter the empty training room with confidence, my eyes looking directly up at the gamemakers. It takes me a moment to find Kelley, sitting in the back. He makes no motion of recognition or anything; the others must not know of my arrangement with Snow.

I stop in the middle of the area, almost directly in front of them, and give a lazy salute. To my satisfaction, Kelley's lips twitch slightly. "Kai Shields, District Four."

Then, I turn and head over to the weapon's area, not hesitating to grab some throwing knives. I make no effort to turn and toss one in the air, flipping it behind my back. As soon as I catch it, I throw it at the target a few yards away from me.

It hits the red dot on the top of the metal body. A small murmur leaves the gamemakers behind me.

I stop the showy throws and, instead, quickly let five more knives fly. All of them hit the other dots on the targets.

I set down the rest of the knives and jog over to my pride and joy: the spear. A satisfied smile appears on my face; I'm having fun showing off.

I pick up the exact spear that James was using yesterday and balance it in my hands. Then, I turn to face the gamemakers. I look up at them for a moment, seeing their faces full of intrigue and curiosity.

Once I can see that they're all satisfied, I begin to twirl it.

My motions start out quite slow but steady - practiced. My years waiting on the side of a river were not lost for nothing. I suppose that this shows something about me - the fact that I can do tricks with all of my weapons; I get bored very quickly.

The spinning on just one hand grows faster and faster until, once I'm confident that it won't stop, I begin to switch hands. The spear moves blindingly fast from hand to hand, changing every couple of seconds.

This goes on for a moment. Finally, I release the spear, letting it sail up into the air. There is a pause before it falls and I neatly catch it, beginning to twirl it again. I don't switch hands, but keep a steady movement for around half a minute, allowing the speed of my rotations to steadily increase so that only a flash of silver metal is visible.