CHAPTER 16

My phone goes off then, and I see I have a text from Jake. Harry must have seen it because he says.

"Never mind, I'll see you."

"What were you going to say?"

"It's no biggie. It can wait." I nod and walk towards the flat. Harry can be so infuriating. Just when I think he's going one way, he goes the other way.

I put my stuff away and come back to the living room. I figure I'll watch some Netflix before the girls come back. I lay on the sofa and cover myself with the throw. I settle on a show and try my best to concentrate. As always, though, my mind goes back to Harry. What did he want to tell me? I can't help but wonder if now that things are over between him and Cami then, maybe he may want something more with me.

But I can't be a second choice though. I deserve to be put first. Jake is putting me first, and that is what I should focus on. However I'm so conflicted, maybe Iris is right, and Harry has to figure things out, I don't want to open my heart further to him and end up getting it shattered. I must focus on Jake. I have to.

*******

Friday evening, I'm getting ready for the show with Jake, and I've just put my hair in a bun. Since it's a local band playing, I don't wear anything fancy. I'm dressed in jeans and a white blouse, it's the beginning of October, and it's quite chilly for this time of year, so I grab my black peacoat.

Iris has gone home with Connor to meet his family, she was so nervous, and I assured her they would love her. They haven't been together long, but hey, I guess if it feels right, it's right. Niamh is spending the night as Dean's, so I'm home alone tonight. I don't mind being on my own sometimes. I'll probably call it a night when I get back. Jake texts to let me know he's here.

I lock up and walk over to his car, when I get in I wince a bit.

"Are you okay?" he asks, concerned.

"Yeah, I am, just a bit sore from my workout with Harry the other day." Oh shit, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Harry tonight.

"I see, so you guys workout often then?" he's curious. There's no point in avoiding the question seeing as my big mouth brought it up on its own.

"Usually, on Wednesdays, if our schedules allow it."

"Hmm." he just says, I don't really like that, so I mean what's on my mind even if I might regret it.

"What?"

"Nothing, just a bit jealous that he gets to spend a lot of time with you." Well, I guess that wasn't the answer I was expecting. I'm pleasantly surprised, but then again, he's always told me what's on his mind.

"Harry and I are just friends. You don't have to worry about it." The number of times I've said this exact same phrase this week alone, though.

"Oh, I'm not worried about him at all. You're here with me after all."

"Good"

When we arrive at the venue, Jake opens the door for me. He holds my hand as we walk in. This is new for me, I'm not a huge fan of PDA, and it seems like he wants to make sure everyone knows I'm with him. I don't know how I feel about that, but I guess I'll just have to go with the flow this time around.

Jake leads me to a private area inside the venue. I believe it's the VIP section because it's fancier, and there are tables. We're close to the stage, which is a nice change. He introduces me to a few of his friends that are already there. I thought it would just be us two, but I was wrong, oh well it is what it is. Jake excuses himself to go to the men's room, and I'm left alone.