CHAPTER 23

Do you want me to come to you?

His reply says. Meeting him here would be on my terms, but also Iris is here. On the other hand, though, I don't really feel like venturing anywhere. So before I start overthinking, I text back.

Sure.

I'll be there in half an hour.

I sigh and toss my phone back to where it had been.

"So, is he coming here?" Iris asks.

"Yeah, he said half an hour."

"I can leave for a bit and give you guys some privacy," she says.

"You don't have to."

"Nah, it's okay; if I stay, I may pop off on him again."

This is why I love her, she's always ready to go to bat for me, and I'm thankful for her every day.

"That is very true; maybe it isn't a good idea to have both of you in the same place so soon."

"You got that right," she says as she gets up to go and change, I assume.

While Iris is in her room, I ponder how this conversation with Harry is going to go. I'm not sure what he's going to say, I do love him, but I just don't know if I have it in me to keep going when we're not on the same page. Iris comes out of her room; all dressed and ready to go.

"Text me if anything, and I'll come right back!"

"Will do, love you, babes."

"Love you too."

Iris isn't gone for 10 minutes when the doorbell rings. I take a deep breath and walk towards the door; I'm mentally telling myself that this will be okay, and I can get through it without crying in front of him.

When I open the door, Harry is standing there, hands in his pockets, and looking as breathtaking as ever. My heart pinches because he looks so good, and here I am, looking like an utter mess.

"Hey," he says.

"Hey," I reply.

We both stand there for a few seconds taking each other in. This is the first time I've ever felt any sort of awkwardness between us. Usually, when shit goes down, we resolve it pretty quickly that there isn't any awkwardness. But today, it's way more than just a few kisses between us.

"Can I come in?" he asks, I snap back to reality and say.

"Yeah, of course."

I sit on one end of the couch, and he sits on the other end, I don't look at him but keep fiddling with my fingers. Harry takes a few moments and then says.

"Nat, I promise you nothing happened between Cami and me."

I don't know what to say, but "Okay."

"It's not okay, though; you're holding back. Tell me how you're really feeling."

If I told him everything that is running through my head right now, I'd end up being a bigger mess than I already am. But I owe it to myself to tell him how I feel.

"Okay, so what happened?"

"Nothing, she just wanted to apologize, and that's all it was. I figured we'd have more privacy in my room, in hindsight, I can see how that would look."

I want to believe that he's telling me the truth, and nothing happened, but a part of me knows I'm looking for a way out of whatever this is between us.