Chapter 1: The Call to Adventure Starts with and Annoying Request

Present Day

The room was dark save for the small lit white candle whose flame flickered a deep orange and vibrant yellow sat on top the dark oak dresser and the thin streams of light filtering through the shear blue curtains which covered the open window as the sun began to peak over the horizon. Already the sound of cars and dogs could be heard through the window and a figure shifted in the bed shivering from the light breeze floating in the sheets scattered haphazardly around the bed a thin sheen of sweat coating his forehead. He shifted again flipping on to his side curling his body inwards on himself knees closed on his chest his breathing shallow. His mouth sat open slightly and he wheezed a little in his sleep like he was having a hard time catching his breath. He uncurled his body turning on to his back his right-hand clutching at his chest his body lay tense like a coil about to snap out and his face was screwed up tight. He let out a small whimper of fear and a single tear slipped down his cheek.

Suddenly his eyes flew open and he pressed his lips together his right hand flying up from his chest over his mouth choking back the sob and swallowing the gasp that almost fell off his lips. His breathing was ragged and he was shaking his body soaked in sweat. He wrinkled his nose up in disgust and tried to slow down his breathing. In for three out for five slowly so slowly until his breathing was some semblance of normal. He slowly worked on releasing the tension in his body relaxing the muscles in his legs then his back then his arms the hand that was covering his mouth sliding down to his side taking a small trail of drool with it. He sat up in his bed sending a quick disgusted look to his slightly damp right hand before scrubbing his face with his left wincing as that one came away wet with tears.

He tiredly sent a glance towards the small wall clock ticking over his dresser, 6:30am, a reasonable time to be awake at least and it also means that he got more than three hours of sleep last night. The joy of small victories.

He slipped off his bed making sure that his feet hit the floor silently before opening the door and as quickly as he could silently rushing over to the bathroom. He flicked the switch on the wall by the door stopping in front of the sink turning on the tap and splashing some water on to his face. He crabbed a towel hanging behind him and keeping his eyes pointed down towards the sink he lightly scrubbed around his mouth and under his eyes.

Once done he glanced up towards the mirror above the sink and took in himself. His eyes were rimmed with red and his face was sunken slightly with exhaustion his brown skin tinged with an undertone of an ashen gray and sickly in the florescent light. He sighed splashing a little more water on his face and feeling the fatigue slip away as he breathed out. He raised his head up and stretched his arms up standing up on his toes before falling back down.

He blinked clear his eyes of sleep and lightly tapped his cheek willing the water dripping down his chin away and drying his face. The water made things better, he felt clearer more relaxed from the simple act of splashing his face in the morning. His skin felt cool to the touch an appreciated reprieve from the weak smoldering lurking just under the surface of his skin.

Now that he was more awake, he took notice of the light hum close to his ears like a whispered lullaby carried in from far away on a soft breeze. He shook his head once trying to shake the sound from his head and out of the corner of his eyes he saw slim strings of light dancing in the air a pale shimmering gold tiny thin strings that glinted like twinkling stars .

He shook his head once more and the sound faded away. He blinked once, then twice and the lights were gone. He chanced a small smile tired small at his reflection before turning the tap and stopping the flowing water, switching off the lights of the bathroom and walking out.

Head held high and a little more relaxed he stalked out into the hallway towards the kitchen and quietly switched on the stove. He wanted to make breakfast, but he needed something, he needed something. He frowned annoyed sifting through his mind trying to pinpoint the desire caught in the back of his throat. He eyes slid over the counter passing over the sugar whispering to himself