KEEPING MYSELF TOGETHER

Author's note: Please forgive the grammar and any spelling mistakes as this is my first time writing so, please be a little gentle. Hopefully you have a good read. Thank you.

What kept me sane was knowing that things would change, and it was a question of keeping myself together until they did.
-Nina Simone
--------------------------------------------------------------

CHARLEE WATERS

Present Day   

"What are you talking about Lucian?" I ask as I still can't comprehend what he is saying. The tunnel thing isn't helping at all really as Milo gives a bark beside me.

"I am saying that as of now everything that ever belonged to Cameron is now mine. Including this house
and everything in it." He said looking at me with disdain.

"But according to Woody's will- " He cuts off my sentence as he rolls his eyes picking up the documents he thrusts them in my hands.

"Just read the damn documents and get out." He said giving me a slight push. Thankfully I retain my balance as I remain rooted to the floor. Shocked as my world starts to tilt.

"I don't understand." I said as I look down at the documents in my hands. The words blurring before my eyes as my stupid eyes are starting to tear up, even when my head is saying it must be a dream. A terrible dream.

Woody would never leave me under the charge of someone who could ever harm me in anyway. But as I wipe my eyes and read through the documents my dismay increases and as I reach the end of them my heart drops to my stomach seeing my signature on the bottom right. Declaring Lucian the sole heir of Woody's property.

Baffled I look at my signature and vaguely remember Lucian telling me to sign some release papers for Woody's body one day after Woody's death. At the time I hadn't even been able to leave my bed without help.

I have a hazy memory of Mrs.Fudge waking me up and helping me to my couch informing me about Lucian's arrival. I had been on antidepressants and some sedatives because the palpitations and tremors would not stop. Sedatives because the doctor had instructed me to rest and that was the only way I could. Apart from that I was also taking medications for my bullet wound.

Just covering the space from my bed to the couch had worn me out even with Mrs.Fudge's help. I think I had fallen asleep again waiting for Lucian. The memory of me signing the documents was really fuzzy. But it was there nonetheless. I hadn't read the documents I wouldn't had had been able to even if I had tried.

I had told Lucian to leave the documents with me and had told Mrs.Fudge to read them and if all was in accordance he could have them picked up by the evening. I think there had been some reluctance in his part as he wanted the documents signed quickly so the funeral could take place at time.

But if Woody had taught me anything it was never to sign any documents without reading them first. So I had told him about this and he had agreed with me pretty quickly and that had completely put my mind at ease.

So in the afternoon I had Mrs.Fudge read them aloud to me and it had been as he had said so I had signed them without a second thought. I hadn't signed any documents apart from them so to see my signature here was tearing me apart.

Mrs.Fudge is a nice lady. She wouldn't do this. She took care of Milo. She took care of me. She can't do this. But even as I think that I can feel the cruel knife of betrayal twisting deeper and deeper in my back.

Milo is whimpering as he pulls on the bottom of my pants probably trying to console me. Looking up from the documents I see Lucian's gloating face. His brown eyes almost glinting.