Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Responsive

I literally sprinted out of my house towards my car. It felt like déjà vu, here I was again dressed in only one shoe on one foot and a sock on the other. Making my way to the hospital, I couldn't help but tremble, is it good news or bad news?

I looked like I got dressed in the dark but at this moment, my appearance doesn't bother me the slightest. This time around, I didn't have to ask for her room number because I knew it so well, I could locate it with my eyes closed.

"Sheryl!" Greta screamed to me. She looked uneasy, she looked scared, sorry, sh-she looked...fuck! I don't even know.

Suddenly my breathing got heavy, I felt like I was about to die right there and then. The whole hospital was spinning around me and I could feel all eyes on me. I think I was having a panic attack

"Sheryl, listen breathe, take deep breaths please." She said as she rubbed my back in a circular motion.

"Please Greta, please don't let her die." I bursted out in tears as the thought of attending her funeral or seeing her body being placed in a coffin instantly broke me.

"Greta, what happened!" A males voice shouted from the other side of the hall way. Quris. He too looked disheveled and somewhat disorientated, he looked like he had just woken up. He had on his pajama pants and sweat shirt, with no shoes or socks.

"Both of you, please calm down." She started.

"No don't tell me that, what happened?!" I half yelled.

"Uhm-" before she could go on a group of nurses made their way down the hall, advancing to Le'Eah's room.

"For fuck sakes." Me and Quris said at the same time, we quickly made our way there.

"Sorry, you can't go in there, our doctors and nurses are trying their level best to sort the situation, the best thing you can do is wait." Doctor Sanchez said, the other Doctor that is in charge of Le'Eah.

-

5 hours.

5 hours since I've been sitting on the hospital floor with my back against the wall, literally. The nurses came out to fetch some equipment and rushed back in without a word.

"Sheryl?" Quris started.

I looked in his direction as he spoke for him to know I'm listening.

"I- I don't know how to feel, I had nobody to talk to about Le'Eah a-and I don't know, I really need someone to tell me everything is gonna be okay, I don't care if it's a lie, I need some sort of assurance that if not now, then later she'll be fine." I could understand where this was coming from. I too needed that.

"I had a dream about Le'Eah the night I slept in her room."

W-What did you dream?"

"We spoke a lot and I told her that I don't want to lose her and she said, as I quote

'Who said you're losing me?' It felt so real that I had to believe it." I had to believe what she told me in my dream, ever since then I found myself being happier.

Doctor Rivers finally exited the room. "We have some good news, but before I tell you that I have to tell you this first. When I started treating her, I didn't have hope that she would come around like she did today, for 2 years I was wondering why you kept her on life support because I felt like she wasn't gonna make it." He started somewhat looking ashamed.

"This morning I was doing my rounds, checking up on all of the patients I was treating until the nurse told me that the girl in room 201 was still unconscious but she was talking. She said a few names and then she wasn't speaking anymore, I checked her out and finally there was brain waves indicating a thought of some sort. Her brain was finally working as it should've two years ago. This was a miracle, if she doesn't wake up in the next one to two weeks then something else is wrong with her I'm proud of the progress she has made, you can go in and don't hesitate to call me if there's any problems, I'll leave now." He said as he nodded.

Me and Quris made our way to her bed. I sat down on the chair at the head of the bed, Quris got one of the chairs against the wall.

"I know how much you don't like me using profanity, but I'm so fucking glad you're coming around." Quris said as he held her hands. I could see tears forming in his eyes as he stroked her hands softly.

"We miss talking to you so much."

"Me and Quris." I said as I smiled at him.

His tears streamed down his face as he nodded in response. I liked seeing him happy, I liked watching him smile at his sister for once in a long time. I was happy that he was so happy to see his sister.

Somehow I felt like I could instantly tell him. 'Quris I've been dating your sister.' Obviously I didn't say that out loud because I promised Le'Eah that when she's ready to tell him she would. All I have to do now is something I've learned all to well.

I have to wait.

...........................

Thanks for reading. :)