Misery Is A Cruel Mistress

At school 

Jasper, Are you okay? Henry was curious. He realized Jasper's head was lost in space in his locker.Yeah. I am fine. Jasper responded by pulling himself out of the locker and attempting to gather him.

Are you sure? Henry asked.

Yes, I promise. Jasper reassured his friend. Why did we have to walk to school instead of using your car?

Oh, Charlotte borrowed it to take Piper to the hospital because she has been sick ever since we got back home to veg-- Henry said as he stopped, knowing what happened in Vegas between Piper and Jasper.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up Vegas. Henry apologized to Jasper.

It's ok. Piper and I ended our relationship when she cheated on me. Jasper stated.

Ok, cool. As thye began heading to his class, Henry replied.

What happened to Lauren? Since after Vegas, I haven't seen her. Henry stated.

I got a text from her saying she needed to stay home because she may have gotten food poisoning from the buffet. She promised to return the next day and instructed me to collect the day's homework. Jasper explained.

Meanwhile

Is everything okay, Doctor? As she sat in the doctor's office, Piper inquired.

Everything is fine, Piper. It appears that you have contracted the common flu. The doctor assured her.

How am I going to get rid of this *cough* *cough*? Piper wondered.

I'm going to write you a prescription for some medication that you can get at the front desk. You should stay at home and rest a lot. The doctor murmured as she scribbled a prescription on his notes.

Thanks. Piper said, she picked up her stuff then walked out to Charlotte who was waiting in the waiting room.

Hey, how went it? As she watched Piper leave the doctor's office, Charlotte asked.

Oh, the doctor says I had the flu, and I need to get a prescription that will either cure or alleviate the symptoms. As she walked to the drugstore to get her medication, Piper said.

Charlotte checked the time and saw that it was 8:45 a.m., which meant she only had 15 minutes to get to school so she wouldn't be late for her first period.

Oh, crap! It's 8:45 am. She said as she was exiting out the front with Piper.

Don't worry. I got you a Doctor's note to excuse you from the first period. I got a doctor's note saying that I should stay home. Piper said reassuring her. 

But how are you going to return? Charlotte asked, gathering her belongings and placing the note in her pocket as she prepared to go.

Last time I checked, it was the twenty-first century. Piper observed cynically as she waved her phone, which displayed the Uber app.

Okay, smart ass. Charlotte chuckled, but mostly rolled her eyes.

I'll be fine. Piper reassured Charlotte. "if  there is an emergency, I have you, Henry, and Jasper on speed dial. Just go!"

Ok. Charlotte said, giving Piper a hug before leaving to get to school. 

At school

As Nick passed by, Jasper was standing near his locker, trying to get his books, but he didn't seem as cheerful as he had the day before.

Nic, hello— A girl attempted to walk in his direction in a flirtatious manner.

GET OUT OF MY WAY! I'M IN A RUDE MOOD!! Nick yelled, causing the girl to jump and clear the way for him to walk.