Romance Wasn't Built in a Day

The two-minute car ride was filled with silence, both boys thinking about what they were going to the other. They kept stealing glances at each other when they thought the other wasn't looking, often catching each other and blushing before looking away. Once they arrived, they got out of the car and went to the table that sat on the edge of the basketball court, sitting on top of it. Luckily, no one was out there, giving them privacy.

How've you been? Jasper asked quietly. Nick shrugged.

Okay, I guess. You?

okay. He muttered. There was silence for a while.

Are we ever going to talk about it?> Jasper asked finally. Nick turned to face him.

Talk about what happened with Jack?

Jasper nodded. Nick sighed and ran his hands through his hair. "What part?"

All of it. Jasper whispered. I...I know you probably don't want to talk about it but I need someone to talk to other than the therapist my parents got for me and... and you're the only other one who was there who can.....understand.

Nick immediately felt bad upon hearing how scared Jasper was. He was moping over the fact that Jack almost killed him. Nick started to feel like a selfish prick for staying away for so long.

I'm sorry I haven't been around. Nick said as he grabbed Jasper's hand.

It's ok, the reason why I haven't been around a lot is that I thought you would want to have space... you would look at me and always see me as a reminder of the worst night of your life.

Believe it or not, Jasper. That wasn't the worst night of my life. Yeah, it was pretty bad but think of all the good things that have happened before then: We came out to the school and everyone supports us, We both won prom royalty and I got to dance with you as I wanted! Yeah, that whole thing happened afterward but...this year has to be one of my best memories yet.

Jasper smiled at him, Me too...despite almost getting raped and all. I couldn't have been happier that prom went better than I thought it would.

I'm just glad that Jack didn't ruin that for us. Nick snorted as he wrapped Jasper into his arms. "Then I really might have killed him".

About that. Jasper said looking into NIck's eyes. "I can't imagine what you must be feeling about all of this. I know I'm confused and he wasn't even my father or yours!

I'm not going to lie. seeing what he was doing, knowing what he was about to do, it broke something in me. Nick murmured, feeling vulnerable. But he had to keep going, Jasper needed to know exactly how he felt. "I never...I never thought he would take it far, you know? And when I got that paperweight and just started hitting him and hitting him...for once I felt I had control in my life, for once I wasn't scared of my father because I had the upper hand. I was the one beating him and it felt good. It felt good to hurt him the way he hurt me that night, the way he was about to hurt you.

Jasper was quiet, taking this all in. He couldn't deny that he would have done the same if he was in Nick's shoes. If he was honest, he probably would have killed Jack and he had a feeling Nick would if Henry and Charlotte didn't come in.

I sound like him. Nick said bitterly and Jasper hit lightly.

No, you don't. He said firmly. "You're nothing like that monster, Nick. What he put you through, he deserved a taste of his own medicine! He deserved to know what it was like to feel someone beat him so badly he thought he would die. He needed to be taught that lesson and you were the one to teach him, like poetic justice. Nick chuckled at that. "You don't sound like Jack at all and if he wouldn't have attacked you, then you have retaliated, simple as that. I think what you're feeling is normal.

They want me to stay away from him. Nick said quietly. "They think that if I see him I might get angry to the point of killing him.

And it would be no less than deserved, Jasper said with finality. "Don't tell Charlotte, I told you this, but she told Henry she wishes they would have just let you finish him off. She thinks he deserved it too.

That's disturbing. Nick laughed, through a part of him knew this was true. He believed his father was obsessed with Jasper just because he wanted to rape him but rape was an act of violence, Jack had never done that to Nick because he loved him too much though he had a twisted way of showing it. He beat him into a bloody mess nearly every time he came home! How was that showing someone's love? Nick surmised that in Jack's hopelessly twisted mind, that was the only way he knew how.

So... where do we go from here? Jasper asked, stroking Nick's hand. " I mean I guess there's the trial we have to get through and no telling how long that's going to take.

"I don't want to stay here for it. Nick said softly. He knew in his heart when he was released from the hospital that night he could no longer stay in Swellview. This was the place of his birth and the place where he grew up, but now it served as a painful reminder of that night his childhood was broken and he couldn't imagine starting a family here. He would do his part and put his father away for life, then he would leave. "I don't think I can stay here, Jasper.

I know. He murmured. He figured Nick would want to get out of here this first chance he got, he couldn't say he blamed him. 'Where do you want to go?

California. he said after a moment. USC is offering me a scholarship.

Nick, That's great! Jasper exclaimed and then kissed his cheek. "I'm proud of you, baby".

Thanks. he murmured and kissed his boyfriend soundly. "I know you got a scholarship to Duke University and one from Washington State so I wouldn't blame if you go ---

Shut up, Nick. Jasper interrupted. "You and I both know that I'm where you go. I got into UCLA so I'll go there and then transfer into USC after 2 years.

But what about basketball? Don't you want to keep going with that? Nick asked incredulously. "You're a hell of a player, Jasper, You shouldn't quit.

I won't, I'm sure they have clubs I can join. Jasper chuckled. 'When are you going to let me read that book you started writing.

of course, you would, Bookworm. Nick chuckled. 'When are you going to let me read that book you started writing?

When I'm halfway done, I'll let you have a peek.

Okay, I'll hold you to that. He chuckled then he sighed. "Why would you give up basketball for me?

Basketball is your dream, Nick. I would never tell you to give that up and I don't want to leave you.

No,it's not. Nick said as he lifted Jasper's chin so their eyes met. "You're my dream, Jasper. Don't ever forget.