Chapter Four

The inside is small and smells of smoke and gasoline. I duck into on aisle when I notice a young woman and a man having a heated argument, although their voices were low making it hard to hear what was being said.

I glance at the chips and other  snacks before deciding on just a box of granola bars, before heading to the fridge area.

"You can't be serious Rose! That doesn't even make sense!"

"Oh, it makes sense Mike, but I guess it just doesn't make sense to an idiot like you."

I suck in a deep breath without any reason as I decide on a plain water and head to the check out. When I get to the counter I notice that the 'man' is the cashier and the woman, well I have no clue.

Maybe it's his girlfriend?

No.

I don't want to judge anyone but she just doesn't look like she belongs with him, she has this athletic looking body type. Well toned, attractive curves, muscular body, tight thigh and calf muscles, well-built shoulders a broader elongated neck, arms are well built and toned but not flabby. Her naturally tan skin looks like a light copper tone, she's around 5'6 and she just has this intense aura that surrounds her like a very tall wall.

And as for this 'Mike' dude he has dirty blonde hair, he is really skinny, around 5'10 and 5'11. And all together doesn't look like the type this intense beautiful girl would go out with.

I roll on the balls of my feet as I wait patiently for Mike to come check me out, but it seems like he is too deep in the conversation with the girl to even notice I am waiting. The girls back is to me and Mikes front is to me, I glance over to see them still talking or rather arguing. I set the items down on the counter as my skinny weak arms were getting tired, I refuse to break up their argument as I don't know what their arguing about, it could be something important or it isn't important, but my point is it isn't my place to break up something that isn't my business to begin with.

"Mike it's just alcohol, stop being ridiculous."

"ME! Being ridiculous! Rose this is the third time you've been in here buying alcohol and cigarettes this week!!"

The girl or Rose as Mike had called her, sighs loudly, clearly, annoyed with Mike's argument. She says something else to Mike but it's too low for me to hear, before she grabs the beer case and three packs of cigarettes from Mike's hands and storms out. I can't help but make eye contact with her as she storms passed me and oh how I wished I didn't. Her dark forest green eyes held nothing but anger and well...anger. A shiver sends down my spine in fear.

"Sorry about the wait and well umm.. the whole fight with Rose."

I am brought out of my thoughts and shocked by Mike grabbing my stuff and ringing it up.

"No worries."

I answer quietly as I grab my wallet from my purse.

"Hey I haven't seen you around here before, are you new?."

"Something like that."

I take out the money that is needed to pay as he puts the items in a grey plastic bag.

He chuckles, "You don't sound too pleased, but I don't blame you most kids hate living here, let alone having to vacation here."

"Mmm."

Later back at home, I wonder through the house a little bit more, there are no pictures of me or even any pictures of anyone in the whole house to be more specific. I mean I understand he probably wouldn't want pictures of mom around but wouldn't he want pictures of his own daughter up on the walls?

There isn't any books or bored games laying around, the kitchen is basically just filled with fish and other meats. The bathroom is filled with items only suited for a man, his room door is locked.

How strange...

But after about an hour of wandering I finally stop in the living room, flipping through the tv channels as if they were pages in a book. I hadn't realized the sun had gone down till Charles comes walking in with a brown paper bag in his hands and a proud smile on his face.

I wish he would look at me with that much pride...

"RJ! You won't believe what me and the guys caught!"

His loud excited voice booms as he comes stomping into the living room holding up two very dead grey fish.

I frown, "Umm dad you should leave the fish in the kitchen."

He laughs, "Oh come on RJ! They are not that bad!"

He continues to laugh as he turns and heads for the kitchen, hopefully to put the fish away.

Eww!

"So RJ! I ran into an old friend of mine today! He has a few teenage kids of his own!"

Oh no, I know where this is going. He'll try and either make me be friends with them or worse! Try and hook one of them up with me!

"Dad! I'm not interested!"

I turn off the tv and head for my room but he stops me in the hallway.

"Not in that way Riley Jane, I just mean that his kids are like...the outsiders of the town and it would be nice of you...if you at least give them a chance? For me? Please?"

He has his hands on my shoulders and my arms are crossed over my chest, I glance away from him and instead focus on that dog who is laying down in the hallway chewing some kind of bone. Why should I do this for Charles? He ran out on me and mom six years ago! He never even tried to have a relationship with me after! He never tried to contact me! So why should I do this for him!?

"Try Riley Jane please."

I sigh as Mom's words appear in my head. Fine I'll do it! But for mom, Not Charles!

"Maybe."

I turn and shrug off his hands and head for my room.

"It's not a no."

He chuckles, as I enter my room and have my hand on the door.

"And it's not a yes either."

I close the door before he can even reply.