chapter 4 : i hate this

I remain on one corner of the seat, and he remains on the other.

In contrast to a few minutes ago, the distance between us feels like a Jeremiah river apart, a suffocating tension hovering over the air of this seat.

Mr. Harold is asleep, so I can't talk to him. It is a good thing that we are only less than half an hour or so away from Greenwoods Train Station, and hopefully July and I will become normal in the rush of finding a place to stay at night.

After an announcement in the intercom, the train starts to slow down. Murmurs and shuffling commence in our carriage, as those who will get off in this station prepare their luggages. I bring my bag from between me and July to my lap, giving him an awkward glance as I do. Some people from the back start walking through the aisle to the front, but I remain seated. One man's butt starts to rub against my arm, and July pulls my other arm, gesturing with his eyes to come closer. He distastefully glares at that man, who is either completely unaware, or is just pretending. I move away, heavily uncomfortable. July pats my back assuringly. In the commotion, Mr. Harold's slumber breaks, and he wakes up with a start.

"Are you getting off this station, son?" he asks me.

I smile and nod.

"Ah, looks like I will be all alone again." He laughs, looking out the window to the busy station.

"Someone else will come along," I say.

"Not all companies are pleasurable."

"Having a company is better than not having one."

At this, he smiles, his wrinkles becoming more defined. He fixes his glasses and peers outside. Then he says, "If that ain't true."

We don't say any formal goodbyes or anything, just smiles and nods, which is probably enough for two people who have only known each other for a few hours and will never cross paths ever again. I wonder how long I will remember this Mr. Harold, who has made a cameo appearance in the movie of my life. I will probably remember him a little longer than most other cameos, only because of his lost hand, but someday, he will surely fade away from my mind forever.

I wonder, if the same thing will happen with July too.

"Ah, wait, Cedar!" Mr. Harold calls just as I am about to leave.

"Hmm?"

"Take this as a gift." He brings out a red object from his pocket and hands it to me.

I take it and find it to be a lighter. "Ah, I don't smoke, Mr. Harold."

He laughs. "That's not the only use of a lighter! But even if you don't use it, just keep it with you. Think of it as a token for our friendship."

"Okay, thank you." I smile one last time.

July walks ahead of me, his hand grabbing my shirt. There are still some people behind me. One man from the back urges me to walk ahead, but I stand my ground because I have to keep space for July. The man who is behind me tells that other man, "Have patience, dammit!"

I turn around and mutter a thanks to him. He only nods.

Finally, we get off the train.