side stories | edgar; dale

Edgar's friends

"I have told you twice already, and I'm telling you again — my brother does not date kids!"

Edgar Conway sighs for the nth time today, turning his face away from Daisy Redfield, who is occupying the nerd's seat instead of going out of the classroom like usual. This is a thousand times more annoying than having the nerd sitting there. Specifically the nerd who hasn't replied to any of Edgar's messages or called to tell his whereabouts or do anything whatsoever to display that he is still alive.

The bell for lunch break has rung already, and currently Edgar is trying to free himself from the grasps of  Daisy and her baseless demand of dating Eden to go grab some food. But it's not so easy.

"But I'm not a kid!" she protests, slamming her palm on the table.

"Well, to him, you are! And to me as well. Who the fuck bangs their hand on the table like that but an immature peice or shit?"

"Um, you? I've seen you do that tons of times with Lockwood."

"Well I never said I'm an adult. And I do that because Cedar's fucking frustrating."

Being reminded of Cedar again, Edgar sighs again and looks at the clock. It's been more than 12 hours since he last saw Cedar, and Cedar hasn't contacted him in any way. Would that nerd seriously die on his first day as a runaway?

Edgar wouldn't be surprised.

"Damn, you're a fucking rude bastard, aren't you?" Daisy asks, giving him a threatening look. As much as Edgar is wary of her, it feels nice to find someone with the same damned vocabulary as him other than his family.

"You should see my brother," Edgar replies with a smile.

"I have seen him and he's hot."

"Ew, gross. He baths like once a week."

"I'm–"

Edgar's phone vibrates in his pocket, and he stands up hastily. He takes the phone out of his pocket, relief washing over him as he sees the words "Stupid Nerd" popping up on his screen. Ignoring Daisy's remarks, he barges out of the class to take the call.

He picks the call and doesn't say anything at first.

"Hello?" Cedar's voice comes from the other side. "Edgar?"

Edgar takes a deep breath and begins, "You selfish brat. You stupid fucking idiot, dumbasstic eel-fish. Wriggly, annoying earthworm. You're a horrendous remake of Squidward—"

"Ugh, Evren—"

"You matriphobic runaway. You don't give a fuck about people's feelings, now do you? You're a fucking—" At that moment, Lexi walks up to him with a bright smile on her face and thus Edgar has to take the unwanted decision of steering the conversation to a more positive direction. "— good guy. Very nice guy. My friend. You are my friend." Edgar smiles and nods at Lexi. "Cedar, how have you been doing? How was the trip? Have you eaten, have you slept? I hope everything is going awesome."

Lexi gives him an amused look and mouths that she will be waiting for him at the end of the hallway so they can have lunch together. Edgar gives another nod as she walks away.