practice makes perfect

She wasn't serious.

Veronica Lodge stared at her best friend, eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Never in a million years would she have expected such a request to come out of Betty Cooper's mouth. Betty, with her flawless blonde ponytail and not a hair out of place. Betty, Riverdale's All- American sweetheart. And, to top if all of, they were smack in the middle of Pop's Diner of all places. It must have been a dream. 

But the emerald green eyes shining back at he were nothing if not earnest. 

Veronica, measuring her breathing, leaned forward over the table of their favorite booth 

"Betty," she said, slowly but purposefully, "That's quite a request." 

The blonde girl blushed, but didn't look away. Her eyes met Veronica's saucer- like stare, the pleading in them evident.

Veronica could feel herself melting at the sight. And God, Veronica knew she was a sucker when it came to the blonde.

She'd had a serious crush on Betty ever since she'd waltzed into Pop's three months prior, the night before the start of their junior year, and seen the blonde elegantly sipping a vanilla milkshake with her then-best friend Archie Andrews.

Freshly arrived in the small town of Riverdale from New York City after her father's financial scandal, Veronica knew she was destined to be gossiped about. But neither of the two had treated her oddly or remarked about her family's sordid history. Betty, especially. The blonde was so sweet and friendly, immediately offering to arrive early at Riverdale High the next morning to help Veronica get better acquainted, and the showing up with freshly baked muffins as a welcome present. It didn't hurt she was also a total smokeshow without even realizing it.

Despite her attraction to the girl, it was quite clear to Veronica from the get-go that Betty was completely hung up on the redheaded boy.

Not that Veronica particularly blamed her, Archie, football hero and wannabe musician, was certainly a catch. She might have even considered him- and the ginger certainly made his interest known, if the doglike panting he'd know shown at their first meeting and the subsequent first weeks of  school was anything to go on- if she hadn't so desperately wanted to make Betty her friend. There was something so pure about the blonde, a sensibility so sweet and innocent, that Veronica couldn't help but want Betty to be a major fixture in her life. That meant avoiding anything romantic with either of them.

With her supple skin and raven locks, Veronica never lacked her admirers. So it hadn't been hard to indulge in a choice sampling from what else Riverdale had to offer. There had been the short-lived fling with Chuck Clayton, the drunken romp with cheerleading captain Cheryl Blossom, and the ongoing friends-with-benefit situation with Reggie Mantle, although he was clearly interested in something more.

Throughout, though, Veronica had always held a torch for the blonde. Firstly, nothing was more important when Betty needed her, even a tryst with one of said beaus. Secondly, she found it hard to look away. At cheer practice, she'd often find herself staring at Betty's gorgeous long legs as she stretched, or in class at the tiniest bit of cleavage that poked out when Betty hunched over her desk to take detailed notes. She'd imagine doing dirty, delicious things, to the blonde, later at night in bed, her trust vibrator in hand. But she would never do anything to hurt their friendship., so she kept her crush to herself and tried to encourage Betty to take a shot with the clueless Archie. The redhead finally seemed to realize what was right in front of him-after two years of Betty's persistent pining- when it became clear that her despite flirtatious manner Veronica was never going to stick a toe in deeper. When Veronica not so subtly insinuate  that the reason was their mutual best friend, Archie got the hint and promptly asked Betty out. That been about a month ago, and Veronica had assumed everything with the "golden couple," as most of Riverdale called them, was copacetic, including their physical relationship. Betty had never suggested anything otherwise.