Chapter 3 : Another Damn Killer

Next couple of days went by uneventfully until Inspector Ginoza called everyone who was on duty to an apartment downtown. This, in itself, was already questionable. But, you weren't payed to ask questions, you were payed to follow orders, to follow the Sybil System.

When you arrived at the apartment you saw that Kagari, Kogami, Akane and Ginoza had already arrived. It didn't help that everyone noticed you entering the apartment. Ginoza was glaring at you, surely questioning why you came late. You were trying to ignore his glare while walking over to Kagari, who had started to continue looking through the apartments security system.

... I guess Mr. Masaoka and Mrs. Kunizuka are the ones off duty...

You looked over to Shinya Kogami standing next to Akane. You moved closer to Kagari, hoping everyone would just dismiss your mistake and continue working on the assignment. "So what's going on?" Kogami asked.

Ginoza turned to face Kogami as he coldly replied, "The comprehensive home security inspection showed that the toilet in this apartment has been broken for the past two months. However, the resident hasn't filed a single complaint. So the management company became suspicious and reported it to us."

... Well doesn't this sound so incredibly interesting!...A broken toilet!...

You looked towards Inspector Ginoza and asked, "Who lived here? And why hasn't he filed a complaint yet?"

Inspector Ginoza, still annoyed with the mistake you had made, gave you a short answer, "The man who lived here was Kimihiko Hayama, thirty-two years old. Single. Unemployed."

Akane turned away from the window she had been inspecting, "Unemployed? Do people like that exist in this day and age?" ... I sincerely hope you're not that naive to think that there are no unemployed people these days, Akane... Do you think people just live on the streets for fun?...

Ginoza ignored Akanes irrelevant question and continued to tell you all, "I checked his bank account. He's receiving lots of compensation from an affiliate service provider. He probably lived in great comfort."

Kagari, while still checking the systems program, spoke up, "Well, if you can make oodles of money just by being popular on the net, of course you'd feel it's stupid to go outside and work."

"Could he be taking a long trip somewhere?" You suggested.

"No. When a person goes out of their apartment, there's a record left in the street scanners. In this town it's virtually impossible to take a trip without leaving any trace. Besides, his account hasen't had any withdrawals for the past two months." Inspector Ginoza spoke in the same tone as always as silence filled the room.

Until Kogami spoke up to bluntly state, "Hayama is dead." Kagari smirked as he agreed with his friend, "Yep. Getting killed is easier than disappearing."

You looked at both of them and said, "It's too soon to draw that conclusion." Ginoza looked at you suspiciously before stating, "I agree with Inspector (L/N) on that, it's too soon to assume he's dead," he paused and turned to Kagari, "Is it possible to restart the interior hologram of this room?"

Kagari grinned as he nodded slightly, turning to look at the computer, "Hold on a minute."

As the rooms hologram started to appear, you noticed that the hologram of the couch was next to the couch and above it. ... Why would someone move the sofa and not program the room hologram to change? Maybe Mr. Hayama forgot?...

Akane started to mumble something but she was cut off by Kogami saying, "You can't sit on a holography couch. So normally, the position of the hologramed object is synced with the real world one. The couch must have originally been there. But someone moved it."