Chapter 7 : A Love I Can't Admit

The reports you and Kagari had to write on the events that happened the day before were numerous. A few hours had already passed until you had finally finished writing them. When you walked over to Inspector Ginoza, while handing him the reports, you asked, "Where's Akane? Is she taking a day off?" ... It's not like anyone would blame her...

He looked at the report when he started to reply, "No, Akane is going to have a 'Memory Scoop' so we can see what exactly Shougo Makishima looks like." ... Shit...

You nodded while you returned to your desk, you looked over at Kagari, "So... Looks like Akane is going to give us a face to the name Shougo Makishima." He returned your gaze and answered, "Looks like it. Shinya is going to freak out when he find out! Well I hope he does, at least."

You chuckled, "Yeah, it would be nice to see him show another personality setting besides 'brooding Idiot'." ... Kogami, I hope those bullets hurt... for your sake...

Kagari rolled his eyes while standing up, "I'm going to go visit him in the medical ward. So I guess I'll see you later then?" You nodded again while turning back to your computer, "Of course you will."

"Inspector (L/N))," you turned to Inspector Ginoza who had rudely interrupted your work, "Akane has requested that you be there during her 'Memory Scoop'."

You smiled awkwardly then followed him out of the office and into Shions Laboratory. This, to you, was awkward since you felt that some of Akanes pain was indirectly caused by you. So, with a little guilt weighing you down, you saw Akane sitting on a table with a big machine beside her. Shion was standing next to the machine programming something.

You walked over to Akane and hugged her, "Hey... are you sure you want to do this? There are big risks involved." ... And it's not like it'll help you catch Shougo... He'll avoid you as he has so many others...

Akane smiled while silently nodding, confirming her decision to go through with it. You sighed in slight disappointment as you stepped back and Akane started lying down. Shion lowered part of the machine onto Akanes temples and explained to Ginoza and you, that you'd be seeing Akane's memories displayed on a screen.

At the beginning of the 'Memory Scoop', Shion and Ginoza were looking at the screen in front of them. You weren't to eager to see Shougo kill someone, so you looked away. And as you did, you saw the security cameras, of which one was in the medical ward. As luck would have it, the camera was in the room Kogami and Kagari were in. Kagari was sitting at the end of the medical bed Kogami was laying in. Kogami didn't show any signs of pain, neither did he seem to lose his composure (much to Kagaris disappointment). Naturally, you were curious about the conversation they were having. Which urged you to try and read their lips, since walking over to the screen would've drawn attention.

From what you could decipher Kagari had said, "I guess, Akane is sort of cute and she's got major guts for going through with this 'Brain Scoop'-thingy." ... I suppose it is brave of Akane to be doing this... well, to an extent... we don't even know if it'll work...

You tried to continue eavesdropping until you heard Akane starting to panic. The screen, which you had turned to look at, was depicting the scene of her friends murder. Suddenly your brothers image was displayed onto the screen, and he was holding a knife to that womans throat. ... At least there isn't any doubt now, it was you...

The device was quickly taken off of Akane, but only after they had secured the picture into their database. Akane was completely frozen with her eyes ripped wide open. Shion walked over to check Akanes Psycho Pass. ... Akane... She looks the exact same as when we found her...

You walked over to Akane and started shaking her, "Akane?! Snap out of it!" She didn't react so Inspector Ginoza pushed you out of his way and as he did, the inspector slapped Akane across the face.