Chapter 13

"THIS honorable court of the Supreme Trial Court, Branch 3 with the Honorable Judge Clev Ramiscal is now in session." The clerk first remark.

"All rise. Let's pray. As our Supreme Judge, Almighty God, we stand in your holy presence. We humbly beseech you to bless and inspire us so that our thoughts, words, and actions are in accordance with your will. Enlighten our minds, strengthen our spirits, and fill our hearts with fraternal love, wisdom, and understanding, so that we may be effective conduits of truth, justice, and peace. Guide us today in the path of righteousness for the fulfillment of your greater glory. Amen."

I signed cross after praying raise my head with so much confidence.

"Call the cases." The Judge said.

The clerk reads the list of cases from the court calendar.

"For arraignment and pre-trial, Criminal Case No. 18 00432 1. People of the Philippines vs. Lavinia Manzana for the crime of murder, bribery, arson and drug dealing. Appearance for Prosecution and the Defense counsel."

"Your honor, I am Prosecutor Jaz Sambilay, appearing as Public Prosecutor."

"Your Honor, I am Attorney Elara Miranda, appearing as Defense Attorney for the accused."

"Is the accused around?" The Judge asked.

Lavinia raises her hand. Like what the hell? Is the Judge some kind of blind? She's sitting next to me but he didn't notice?

"Yes, your honor. Please approach the bench." The Clerk said.

The clerk answered for Lavinia. She stood up and walk towards the bench.

"Do you have a Lawyer or do you want the court to appoint a Lawyer?" The Judge asked.

WTH? I did present myself earlier, right?

"I do have a Lawyer." Lavinia answered.

"The court will no longer provide a public Attorney for you. Just as you know, this are all serious crime. Good luck with that."

I can see Lavinia's hidden smirk.

"Attorney Elara Miranda will be appointed as the Attorney for the accused." The Judge added.

I politely stood up. "Yes your honor. Your honor, may we ask this honorable court to postpone the arraignment of my client to give her time to process her bail bond."

"Counsel for the accused, Atty. Miranda, has asked for the postponement of the arraignment to allow her client to process her bail bond. Based on OCA Circular No. 101-2017 or otherwise known as the Guideline for Continuous Trial of Criminal Cases, the ground upon which counsel based his motion for postponement is not allowed. I hereby ORDER that Attorney Miranda's Motion for postponement is denied. So ordered."

I sighed, If I cannot bail her out. I'll get her out of this.

This motherfuckers, testing my patience.

"Arraign the accused." The Judge called Lavinia once again.

"Would you prefer it if I read in English? Or Filipino?" The clerk asked.