Chapter Ten

Astrid awoke to a soft kiss on her lower back, then another just above until a gentle trail was being left all the way up her spine until they reached the back of her neck.

For a moment in time, she'd expected the night before to have just been a shameful dream, yet Jonah's fingers trailed up and down her side, causing her breathing to hitch and the darkness behind her closed eyes to fill with stars.

"You hungry?" He asked quietly before placing another kiss just below her ear.

It was strange how not an ounce of regret dripped from his tone or in the way he was holding her. Jonah had promised, but she knew that some promises were broke unintentionally and in no one's control. It surprised her he was still there at all. Jonah had woken up, saw her naked body next to him, and remained in bed.

This was not a drunken mistake. This was not a collection of careless moments. And as his fingertips continued to caress her naked skin, Astrid realized he had no intention of leaving the single night of passion behind them.

That thought both excited and terrified her.

Rather than answer to tell him she was hungry, different words she hadn't meant to say aloud escaped her. "You didn't leave."

The fingers that were trailing up and down her side paused for several moments before disappearing and coming up to tilt her face to look at him.

"Did you want me to?"

Astrid quickly shook her head. "No."

"Good. Now, do you want to go somewhere for breakfast?"

"Yes," she answered in a smile. "But first I want to lay like this for a while longer, if that's okay."

Jonah matched her smile with one of his own. "That's very okay."

When he molded himself against her body, she could feel his morning erection against her, tempting her effortlessly. "This shouldn't feel as good as it does," Jonah whispered.

It really did. To Astrid, it all felt perfect. Too damn perfect to believe. At least, it would be if she weren't painfully aware of all the imperfections lurking in the background. Soon, their small little world would disintegrate, leaving them with only the harsh reality they lived in.

He hadn't asked for a relationship, but it wasn't an option; not unless he was ready to lose everything else. And if he was ready, Astrid wouldn't allow for it. He couldn't make that sacrifice for her even if he wanted to, not that he had brought it up.

There was no way to avoid talking about this, because there were too many facts that had been ignored and too many questions left unasked. Blissful denial was great while it lasted, but it couldn't last any longer.

"You own two businesses with my dad," Astrid finally spoke, when the truth had become too much to hold in.

A slow breath hit the back of her neck and several seconds passed before Jonah replied. "I know."

"Who's also your best friend."

"Yes." That single word that left his lips made him sound almost in physical pain. "And who also trusted me enough to name me the godfather to his only daughter. I'm well aware of the shit storm I've created for myself, Astrid."

She turned in his arms, noticing his erection had gone limp from the discussion. "I'm not saying this to make you feel like an asshole, I'm saying this because I refuse to be the girl who ruins your life, and nothing in this town stays a secret."

Now it was certain he was going through physical pain. Jonah pinched his eyes shut and squeezed her side as if letting go would bring death. "You're telling me this can't happen again."