Birthday | Chapter Four

"Do you think she'll expect it?"

Aimi's timid voice broke the silence in the room. She had finished moving a box inside of the house, grunting softly as she gently set it down on the kitchen counter. Mei shook her head, leaning against the wall.

"Did any of you guys say anything to her about it?" She eyed Y/n, knowing she'd probably let it slip out once or twice without even knowing it. Though, it was sort of hypocritical because Mei has done the same thing numerous times before.

"I didn't. I promise!" Y/n threw her hands up defensively. Even though she was certain about it, she still had to think back to make sure she didn't. Mei took her icy glare off of her pushing herself off the wall and walking across the room.

Currently, the three girls were rushing to decorate Reina's huge house to celebrate her 22nd birthday. It was a surprise party with a couple of other friends, and Hawks was supposedly post to be coming. Y/n didn't even invite him, and this party wasn't really popular so she figured one of the girls must've contacted him somehow.

Though, Y/n knew that she couldn't spend too much time with Hawks. After all it was Reina's birthday, it'd only be rude to her if she were to run off with him. She hoped that he also knew this, if she had to tell him that it'd sort of annoy her.

Y/n and the other girls had also planned to stay the night after the party, so they would clean up and celebrate even further. But, Y/n knew deep down it was so they could drown themselves with alcohol without worrying about driving back home. They made that decision with concerns of Mei, they all knew that she was definitely the one to drink excessively.

The party was held at eight pm which seemed way too early for Mei but she brushed it off. The only reason why they set it at eight instead of a later time like ten was because most people that were coming would come late anyway. Eight pm was the only reasonable time for them to have much more fun later in the night.

Y/n followed behind Mei grabbing another box that was in front of the door. "I hope she doesn't come home early." Y/n sparked up a new conversation, still scared if she did let something slip out about the surprise party.

Mei snickered, "Please, Reina? Coming home early? Doesn't sound like her. She's a workaholic." She reassured the female's thoughts. Sometimes she'd see Reina working just as hard and long as Y/n would.

Mei bent down to pick up a box, her black long hair getting in the way. She pushed her hair past her shoulder before picking the box up from the floor and moving back to the kitchen. Luckily there was only one last box left. Y/n copied her gesture, moving with ease and quickness. This was natural for Y/n as she mostly used to do this everyday before she started working for Wolfsbane.

She was sort of surprised that Kiyoshi gave her today and tomorrow off. She didn't know why he agreed to it, or if he planned on doing something too but she didn't ask any further grateful for his approval.

Between them, it had been sort of awkward since the whole Hawks thing happened. He's still the same foolish guy around her, but she'd often catch him staring at her with a possessive look. It'd really creeped her out some times but she'd just brush it off.

Y/n lightly set the box down on the counter, her gaze averted towards Aimi who was just sitting in one of the chairs.

"Aimi, are you going to help us?" Y/n asked the female who was scrolling on her phone stuffing her face with seaweed salt chips. Aimi quickly looked up from her phone and wiped the sides of her mouth with her thumb, she nodded putting her phone down and rushing the two.

"Okay, I already made a game plan on how we're going to do this." Mei grabbed a knife, slicing through the tape that enclosed the boxes together. "I'm going to decorate the living room. Aimi, you'll put all of the food, drinks, stuff like that into their correct places. Anything that deals with going inside the fridge, we won't put that out till later. Y/n, you're the lookout girl."