Chapter 6 - Hangovers and Dreams

A/N: This chapter isn't as long as the others but I didn't want to put it all in one chapter as it would be too long.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters in this story, they all belong to the writers and creators of The Vampire Diaries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elijah recovered from his dazed state and realised he was currently laying on concrete. He wondered what happened, he had been in a shop with Elena and was enjoying the look of awe on her face as she found a ring. After that everything went black and now he was certain he had ruined his suit.

He opened his eyes and raised his eyebrows as confusion set in. His current surroundings differed from what he remembered. Elijah decided to take a more detailed look around. He was on his feet in seconds, straightening his suit when he noticed his companion a few feet away.

Elijah rushed to her side, he could already tell that she was fine, probably in the same state he was moments ago. He took the young woman's hand and kissed it gently, coaxing her to wake up with his soft voice.

Elena stirred a little and soon after that her eyelids began to flutter open, her first reaction wasn't shock or anger, it was happiness. A large smile began to fill her face and at Elijah's comforting face she remained calm. As Elijah helped Elena to change to a seated position her mood soon changed as they had no idea where they were.

It looked as though they were on a street, but that's all there was, a single pathway that stretched so far beyond, they didn't know where it ended. The sky wasn't blue, it was all grey and there was a deafening silence. Nothing could be heard not even from distances away.

No birds chirped, there was no bustling on the busy street and there was not another body vampire or otherwise around, it was just the two of them.

"Where are we?" Elena asked curiously

"I'm not sure, and I don't sense a presence anywhere nearby" Elijah answered her curious himself.

"Let's walk, maybe we will find someone" Elena asked, she wasn't sure where they were but Elena knew that she didn't want to stay in one place waiting.

Elijah only replied with a nod, he didn't have as much optimism as the doe eyed woman next to him. He held out his hand and without hesitation Elena took it. They followed the path hoping to find some kind of civilisation.

They continued to walk together, talking just to fill the silence. The road seemed never ending until the ground began shaking. There hands tightened as they tried to keep their balance. Fears of falling buildings were forgot as this place of limbo had none.

Cracks were beginning to appear under their feet, thunderous sounds surrounded them and the cracks only got bigger. Elijah turned to Elena and simply shouted "Run!". The ground fell beneath their feet and with vampire speed they managed to outrun the crumbling pathway.

Elena and Elijah came to a halt when they reached a Y-Junction, neither knew which direction to take and neither wanted to separate. They had only stopped for a minute to figure out a plan but they didn't have enough time, a large bolt of light struck the floor between them. They both flew through the air in opposite directions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elena was dazed when she woke up, taking a look around and Elijah wasn't anywhere in sight. She tried to walk back to where she was moments ago, but the ground crumbled at her feet when Elena tried.