epilogue

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "Raise your goblets to Samira Diggory."

     Stools scratched over the stone floor, the rustling of thousand black robes thundered through the otherwise silent Great Hall, goblets were raised.

     "Samira Diggory was an outstanding student, but that wasn't the only trait that made her a person we will never forget. She was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house. A loving sister, a loyal friend to be there for everyone in need, a beloved daughter ripped out of our midst. Everyone of you knew her, and her death affected everyone of us, whether they knew her well, or not. Her bright personality was impossible to be overseen. Samira believed that anything was possible, she was a girl with a strong conviction. A conviction that we all should held for an example to live by from now on."

     Dumbledore's sparkling blue eyes wandered over the crowd of student below him. "Dark times are laying before us. Times that need a strength and strong will. The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened — of Lord Voldemorts return — such ties are more important than ever before. Every guest in this Hall", said Dumbledore, and his eyes lingered upon the Durmstrang students, "will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again - in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemorts gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst. Remember Samira. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a girl who was good, and kind, and brave, because she strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Samira Diggory."

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     The carriages already waited for the students to climb in, but a sandy blonde Hufflepuff was still sitting on his favourite spot amongst the hanging branches of a willow, the sunlight on his nose, but its warmth didn't seem to reach him.

     Cedric wasn't keen on taking the train to go home. He knew what was waiting for him; grief and tears, his father shattered, his mother cold, and an empty room next to his that would never be filled with laughter again. He didn't want to open the front door, that he so often had exited to rush after his sister, who had stormed out of the house after those fights she used to have with their father. He didn't want to climb the stairs Samira had once pushed him down when they were eight years old. He didn't want to sit down at the kitchen table, where she had pulled the most ridiculous grimaces at Amos, while his face was hidden behind the Daily Prophet.

     He just didn't want to go home.

     "Hey."

     Cedric turned around, facing Harry, who looked visibly uncomfortable in his skin. But Cedric cracked a smile at him.

     "Hey Harry. Shouldn't you take a carriage, before all of them are gone?"

     "I was looking for you", Harry said, his hands fumbling on the zipper of his bag. "I — I had an idea ... but I first wanted to ask for your permission. It — it was Sam's idea, to be honest."

     By the sound of his sister's name, a knot builded in Cedric's throat, so he nodded as a sign for Harry to go on, and as he did so, Cedric couldn't but smile; a real smile. Samira's heart had been as big as the ocean.

     When hours later the Hogwarts Express arrived at London, the usual confusion and noise filled the corridors as the students began to disembark. Ron and Hermione struggled out past Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who still lay in the doorway  carrying their trunks. Harry, however, stayed put. 

     "Fred — George — wait a moment." 

     The twins turned. Harry pulled open his trunk and drew out his Triwizard winnings. 

     "Take it," he said, and he thrust the sack into George's hands. 

     George stared at him out of red rimmed eyes, his expressionless mask turning into a surprised face.

     "What?", said Fred, looking flabbergasted.

     "I heard Sam and George talking before the third task started", Harry explained, not looking at George, who quickly stared at his feet. "She wanted you to have the winnings, so you can use it for you joke shop."

     "He is mental", Fred said in an almost awed voice. 

     "Listen", said Harry firmly. "If you don't take it, I'm throwing it down the drain. I don't want it and I don't need it. But I could do with a few laughs. We could all do with a few laughs. I've got a feeling we're going to need them more than usual before long." 

     "Harry", said George weakly, weighing the money bag in his hands, "there's got to be a thousand Galleons in here." 

     "Yeah", said Harry, grinning. "Think how many Canary Creams that is." The twins stared at him.

     "It was her last wish." Cedric had appeared at the door to their compartment, looking at Fred, then his eyes kept laid on George. "If it is what would have made her happy, we shouldn't stand here and argue about this, don't you think?" A weak smile appeared on his face, as his eyes locked with George's. "She always had a thing for you, you know? Totally obsessed." He chuckled. "Even when blood spilled out of her nose in cascades, she still adored your sense of humour." He made a small pause, as George blinked away the tears dwelling in the corners of his eyes, then Cedric said with his wand lifted in his hand, "Take it, or I will glue it to your hands."

     Harry turned his back at the twins and grinned at Cedric, before he climbed over the still stunned body's of Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. It didn't take long for Cedric to follow him.

     "Maybe we should take care they don't get a stroke in there", Cedric snorted as they stepped out of the train.

     "Naah, they'll be fine", Harry said. "They know it's the right thing to do. As long as it makes Sam happy."

     Cedric's agreement lay in his silence. He glanced up into the sky, blinking against the blinding sun.

     "It definitely will", he finally said. "Stay safe during summer, Harry."

     And their ways parted for now, but Cedric as well as Harry knew that Samira's love would never let them tear apart for the rest of their lives.

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

— THE END —

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3

Liked the story?
Feel free to share it! :)

🎉 You've finished reading ✔️ 𝐆𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐘&𝐆𝐎𝐑𝐄 → 𝑔𝑜𝑏𝑙𝑒𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑓𝑖𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑢 🎉