Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Graduation

It was ten in the morning on graduation day. The weather in Geneva was bright and sunny, albeit a bit humid, though that was mostly due to the ceremonial robes the students were required to wear. The students came from all walks of life, from over a hundred different countries. These students were proud to compose the tenth graduating class of the United Nations Youth Academy. The ceremony was taking place in the open field grounds, with stands erected for the many families who came to support their children. The last names had been called and last diplomas awarded out. Now it was time for the closing speech.

The class representative, Mahreen Bashir of Medina, Saudi Arabia, climbed up the steps and took her place behind the podium, wearing with pride both her school colors and hijab. After taking a quick look out to her fellow classmates, she smiled and said,

"My treasured friends, today marks the anniversary of one of the most, if not greatest, events to take place in our life time. The leaders and representatives of nearly every country in the world finally agreed on something."

This caused laughter from the students and audience. Mahreen continued.

"They agreed that it would not be them, but the next generation, their children, who would change this world for the better. That young minds with new thoughts and ideas would overcome the challenges of today, and that the first step to achieve this would be for them to gather together, learn from and listen to each other. And so, this fantastic school was built, offering classes for all to find their way in life, and understand those who walk it a little differently."

The first round of applause arrived.

"But still, the students needed to get here, but who would they be? We have here students who are the sons and daughters of senators, political ambassadors, royalty, presidents, and prime ministers!"

An entire section of students stood up and cheered, including her boyfriend, Jim Sheppard, son of a United States general, hailing from Boston, Massachusetts.

"There are many others here who got invited due to their high placements in national examinations!"

The majority of the class now stood and cheered, with two to focus on being Valentino Torres from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Kumiko Yamada, from Kyoto, Japan.

"And last, but certainly not least we have here those who submitted a paper about themselves, and were lucky just enough to be chosen and awarded full scholarships!"

The remaining students stood up and chanted, "L! U! C-K-Y! L! U! C-K-Y!" Chanting happily with them was Theo Wright of Nottingham, England, Abby Walker of Melbourne, Australia, and Alex Carson of Bend, Oregon.

"Now as we celebrate the tenth graduating class of this school, we must remember the bonds of friendship that have been made here, using what we have learned to better the world, and make sure understanding overcomes ignorance. As we go out into the world with our knowledge, going wherever and doing whatever needed, I know we all walk with common purpose, united!"

With the closing of Mahreen's speech, the entire class erupted with cheer, happy that she spoke the truth about their thoughts, but also that they can shed their robes. Many students mingled with the audience to rejoin with their families, while others stayed in groups to say their goodbyes. One group had a different plan.

"Road Trip!" exclaimed by both Alex and Theo. Alexander Carson, preferred to be called just 'Alex,' was a short, squat Oregon boy with a well-rounded belly. His hair was bright red and shaggy, with his skin being pale with freckles. He was also just starting to grow a tiny beard on his chin. Theodore Wright, or just 'Theo' to his friends was the exact opposite in appearance. He was tall, skinny, and had his brown hair near shaven, with a dark brown skin tone. Abby joined soon after, annoyed by but still loving her friends.