Chapter 13

Chapter 13: The Long Road

With the Medical Room's help, Val regained consciousness that night, his head still pounding. His friends told him what happened after he destroyed the tank, including their conversation with the General. Hearing the ultimatum, he agreed that for now, the best course of action was to obey him.

"He never said anything about the kids, though?" Val asked.

"No. Guess he doesn't care about them anymore." Abby said.

"Why would he? He couldn't control them at the base, and he's seen proof we're stronger than his thugs. We're combat ready." Theo said.

"I still fear for the children. What if he demands them back as well?" Miko worried.

"Whatever happens, we can't let him near those kids again." Alex said.

"I'm still worried about this Cleansing. When we first met him, he said it was his mission to eliminate all undesirables from America, then the world." Val recounted. "How he plans to do it, I have no idea, but if it means only people like him are still around, we must find a way to stop him. Now, go on. We all need our rest for tomorrow."

The others left Val to rest in the Medical Room, but they all were not able to sleep. Theo locked himself in his lab, working on upgrades for his new handheld device, his "Pulsar" he called it. He finally realized that he had his own uses besides fighting, although he thought he kicked plenty ass, also. It was his inventions that allowed the team to arrive at a scene so quick. His gauntlet and pulsar saved his and his friends lives during their last encounter with the Shepherd's Flock. He even found a way to make an alien appear human, though that worked too well. He apologized to Miko for a full half hour before she finally forgave him. She reminded him then that he wasn't useless, and he just needed to remember his own strengths. With his mind, he could provide endless resources for his friends, and they would always be able to rely on one another.

Abby and Miko spent the night reassuring the kids that they would never go back to the General. They gathered the kids in the Common Room, sitting at the tables. The children looked worried, scared. Some even reverted back to the soulless look they had when the teens first met them.

"You promised we'd be safe from him." Protested Mikey, the dark-haired boy.

"And that we would see our families soon." Added Rosa, a young Latina.

"We're never gonna let them hurt you again." Abby reassured.

"However, as a precaution, we ask that tomorrow you hide in your rooms." Miko urged. "Do not come out unless we say so."

"What if they find us?" asked Sam, a blonde-haired girl.

"Then you need to run so they will not catch you." Miko answered.

"You know this ship better than them. Lead them on a chase to lose 'em," Abby added. "If they can't find you, they'll give up."

"And if they catch us?" asked Harry, a boy of Chinese descent.

"Don't forget, you ankle-biters have powers too. They catch you, light 'em up." Abby said.

"And we promise, at the end of all this, you will see your families again." Miko promised.

The kids were calmed down for the time being, and the girls urged them to go to bed, though they themselves stayed awake, thinking how they would able to keep their promises.

Alex went to the Arboretum with Coal. He sat with his back resting on an oak tree, with Coal's head cradled in his lap. He stroked the dog's ears as Coal looked up at him.

Why boy sad?

"We have to go back to the General, the bad man. He threatened to hurt Mama."

I miss Mama. We see Mama again?

"I don't know, buddy."

I hurt bad man. I smell them, I bite them.

Alex grinned at Coal's loyalty to his family.

"I know you would buddy, but you need to stay here, and guard the kids."

I keep pups safe.

"Good boy."

Coal's tail wagged at the truth. Selyys walked in wearing her disguise, holding a bottle of Dr. Pepper.

"You're getting addicted to that."

Selyys offered him a cup, while drinking the rest for herself. After they finished their soda, Selyys asked him,

"Do you and your friends have a plan for tomorrow?"

"No," Alex replied. "But we never really did. We've gone with the flow so far, but now we're playing the General's game. If we're not careful, we're all dead. I'm afraid we'll mess up bad."

In response, Selyys hugged Alex, repaying the kindness he showed her during her saddest time.

"All of you shall find a way to overcome. And when you do, I shall be there to help."

Selyys then went and left Alex and Coal, who spent the rest of the night sitting in their little forest. Selyys went to the bridge of the Altimoor to make sure their course was calculated correctly. She took off her disguise, as it agitated her grandfather for him to talk to her looking human. Her grandfather was already there, looking at a monitor.

"I had warned... that this would happen."

"You always were one for lectures." Selyys said, focusing at her station.

"And now... you gain their sarcasm. The Earth natives... have fallen into the hands... of their enemy. Forced to do... his bidding. No worse... than slavery."

"At least they fight it." Selyys turned to her grandfather. "You had fought during the Uprising. You understood the reason to fight for freedom."

"And I suffered... the terrible consequences. Both parents... dead. All but... two siblings killed. Sella... And now... your new friends... are facing the same."

"Their families still live. They can resist."

"Resist... and their loved ones...suffer."

"So, are you saying they should submit?"

"I say... maybe we were wrong... to help them."

They both were silent for a long time. Selyys made the final adjustments so they would arrive at the appointed time.

"We are to remain when we land. I suggest we prepare to hide for tomorrow. However, Grandfather, if my friends decide to fight back, I will join them. For I will be slave to no one."
Selyys walked out of the bridge, and Galdyn saw that her violet pigment was becoming more prominent. Despite the uneasiness felt everywhere, Galdyn smiled to himself.

"She is... just like you, Sella."

Galdyn then retired to his room, patiently waiting for tomorrow.