Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Explanation

Alex woke up in a big, comfortable bed. Opening his eyes, he was in a dimly lit room, with an IV bag attached to his arm. His body felt sore all over, as if he had a massive sunburn. His eyes adjusting to the dark, he saw he wasn't in any kind of hospital room he ever saw. The room was circular, and had a metallic color, like polished metal. The walls had ridges, giving the appearance of wind-blown sand, or ocean waves. Across from him was a half oval door. Sitting next to his bed in a chair, Theo was sleeping, wearing what looked like purple scrubs.

"Theo? Are we dead?"

Waking up, Theo looked at Alex and gave a big smile.

"Lex, you're awake! Christ, I thought you were a goner, mate!"

"What? How long was I out?"

"About a week, man."

"A week?! Did we...? We're not..."

"Oh, no way man, we escaped. Abby's plan worked, for the most part. We just had a little... help with the getting out part."

Something had just clicked in Alex's head.

"Okay, how are you talking? Usually, you can't get in ten words without trailing off."

"Uh... that's gonna take a bit longer to explain. Short version, I got my own ability; I remember things."

"What things?"

"Everything. Your full name is Alexander Joseph Carson, from Bend, Oregon, born on St. Patrick's Day. You're the youngest of five siblings. Your favorite color is pine green, and your favorite country singer is Johnny Cash."

Alex stared with a dumbfounded expression. After a minute, he found a way to speak.

"That was from our meet and greet at school four years ago. You could barely remember my first name. How the hell..."

"I think we should wait 'till the others get here. I'll let them know."

Theo held up his wrist, showing what looked like a hi-tech watch. He pressed a button on the side and a green glow came on the watch face. He held the watch up to his mouth.

"Mates, it's Alex. He's awake. Oh, and Abby, walk normal so you don't spook him."

Alex started to get spooked. He didn't know where he was or what was happening.

"Theo? Where the hell are we at? Where is everyone else? Where are the kids? Where's Coal?"

"Uh... I'll wait for Galdyn to explain, mostly."

"Gal huh?"

Alex heard the door slide open in front of him. Through it walked in Val, Abby and Miko, wearing similar clothes as Theo. When they entered the room, an overhead light came on. On Val's head was what looked like a light blue, plastic transparent dish, formed around the back of his head and scalp, but ending just above his forehead. Every other second, a violet light passed from the front of the dish to the back.

Alex was just about to ask Val what it was when another figure walked through the doorway. This thing walked on two legs, but it wasn't human. It was taller than them by a head, but it bent down like an old man. Its skin was the color of old pennies, a dark copper. It wore a dark blue robe. Both its thin arms had humanoid hands, but the fingers were thinner and pointy. Its long legs ended in feet with only two long toes. Its face was the most human-like, with a thin nose and mouth, and a short, white beard. Its eyes looked normal, except for the bright red irises. Above the red eyes, however, was another set of three, beady black eyes set in the forehead. Its hair was long and white.