Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Second Mission

"Eureka!"

Theo's voice called out over the intercoms in the middle of the night. The others saw on their transcoms that it was in fact early, about 5:15 in the morning.

"Mates, get your butts down to my lab, quick!"

Everyone else met outside the hall to their rooms, rubbing the sleep out of their eyes. Abby's hair was a staticky mess, and Miko was clutching a stuffed teddy bear. Selyys looked at everyone else with her three small eyes in her forehead, her two main ones still closed.

"What does 'Eureka' mean?" she asked everyone else.

"It means I am going to kill him." Miko responded, walking down the corridor, wringing the teddy bear's neck. The rest followed like recently revived zombies. They went down to Theo's workshop, where he was busy making final adjustments on a thin ring of metal. He had his back to them. All around him were tables piled with discarded inventions and blueprints. There was a large screen in front of him on the wall that showed the silhouette of a human being.

Abby walked quietly up behind Theo, messing with her hair. She then took one hand and touched Theo's neck with one finger, delivering a static shock. Theo yelped and turned around.

"Oi, watch it! Oh, great you're here! Selyys, come on, I've finished it!"

Selyys' tired, blue eyes opened with excitement.

"Really?! This is amazing!"

"Wait, what's going on?" Val asked.

"I had asked Theodore earlier to create a device that would give me the outward appearance of a human."

"And I finally finished it! Come on, everyone, gather 'round."

The rest stood as Theo led Selyys in front of them, facing them. Inside Theo's hands was a slim ring of metal, the color of brass. The outside of the ring was plain, but the inside showed multi-colored lines of light, all running through the inside.

"Right then, Sel, I'm gonna slip this on top your head. Better to put it over your tiny eyes, just in case."

Theo did exactly that as he slipped the ring over Selyys' forehead, covering her second set of eyes.

"This does not feel right. I cannot see as well as I could. Everything looks flatter. Paler."

"You'll get used to it. Now, I just have to enter in the program, then the crown will scan your body, and make the most appropriate and accurate human body for you."

Selyys smiled in anticipation as Theo pushed the holographic buttons on his gauntlet, activating the program. Selyys' crown temporarily lit up blue, then bathed her in the same blue light, covering her whole body. In a near instant standing before them was a human female, around their age, if not a bit older. She still kept her dark hair, but her eyes were now brown as well. Her skin tone was somewhat darker than Val's but lighter than Theo's, reminding them of someone from either the Middle East, or India. The one thing that stood out about her, and what really donned on the others for the first time, was that she wasn't wearing any clothes.

Alex thought he saw something amazing before his eyes were covered by both Abby and Miko, while Val and Theo turned their heads away.

"Well, I can see you thought of everything!" Abby reprimanded.

"I don't understand, it was just supposed to give her a blank slate, like a doll." Theo defended.

"I am confused. Is my form not accurate?" Selyys said, twisting and turning.