Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Life Onboard

Alex spent the rest of that night pondering this troubling information.

Jim's dad... he's the one who tortured us...

Like the rest of his friends, Alex silently wondered if Jim knew about his father. They wondered if Jim was just like his father. They had known him for four years and during that time, he acted the exact opposite of what his father believed. They were giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he truly didn't know, they hoped Jim would stay as far away from his dad as possible.

At least we made it out...

The next morning, Alex felt better enough to explore their new home. Abby and Miko gave him the grand tour, showing him around the Altimoor. They had left the medical wing where he was sleeping and showed him the crew quarters.

"We each get our own rooms," Abby was saying. "We got your bag in your room, then you can decorate it later."

"Decorate?"

"It's amazing," Miko said. "They have this replication machine. It can make whatever you want."

"Like Star Trek." Alex was liking the place already. But there was still another question he had.

"Guys, where's Coal? And who is this, this Selyys?"

"Oh, they're both in the common room," Miko answered. "It's just up here. The kids are there, too."

They went down a long, bending hallway, coming up to a set of double doors. They walked right up to the doors, which slid open. Inside was what looked like a rec room, with several round tables and chairs. Most of the kids were sitting around the tables, reading, drawing or playing board games. A few were sitting near a wall, playing video games on a hi-tech plasma.

Alex found Coal playing with a group of four kids and another alien. This one was the same height as the teens but had the same features as her grandfather: dark copper skin, thin limbs, and two-pronged feet. Unlike her grandfather's, her two main eyes were bright blue and her hair was black. This one didn't wear a robe like Galdyn, so her alien features were visible. Her body wasn't like a human's, as she appeared to be inside out. The outside was an exoskeleton, like an insect, with the outline of her internal organs barely visible. Around where a human's waist would be, hers was segmented with jagged, vertical lines. In the center, where the belly might be, was a slightly extended part of the body, which ended in an upward point, like a drop of water.

Coal caught scent of Alex and rushed right toward him, jumping up trying to lick his face. Alex fell to the floor, laughing. The kids that were playing with Coal went over to another table while the alien walked toward them. She stopped in front of Alex as he was getting up, bowed deeply and introduced herself.

"It is good to see you awake. My name is Selyys Ralqe, of Strays. A pleasure to meet you."

"Uh... good to see you too. I'm Alex Carson, of Oregon."

Selyys gave a puzzled expression.

"You have hesitated. Is it my appearance? Do I startle you?"

"No! Not at all. I'm just surprised you speak perfect English."

"It is best to learn when young. My grandfather's mind is not what it was. But also, I was the head student of my class, so new information comes naturally."

"Awesome. I really want to thank you for looking after Coal."

Selyys gave a big smile, showing pointed teeth.