Vilkas | Women Like Kind Words

Hey! I'm using prompts from Tumblr user, writings-of-a-hufflepuff 's prompt list 1.

(Also, not super thrilled with how this came out, I'm not the best at writing Vilkas's character, but I hope you enjoy!)

Title: Women Like Kind Words

Word Count: 1248

Pairing: Vilkas x Companion! Reader

Requested?: Nope.

Summary: She can't seem to pick a man, and Vilkas often makes a joke of it. But one night, she chews him out and explains why.

Prompt: 79. "Another bad date?"

"Another bad date?" Vilkas asked amusedly after watching Y/n storm back into Jorrvaskr.

"Shut up." She growled, blowing him off and making her way back down to the sleeping quarters.

"Y/n-"

SLAM

He flinched after hearing her exit.

"You're never going to win her over like that," Tilma muttered, shaking her head while continuing to sweep.

"What? Tell me, how did you know that-"

"Oh please, I've been in love before, and you're just so horribly sappy..."

Vilkas frowned, his brow furrowing at the response of the older woman.

"If you want to win her over, try being nice for a change. Women like that."

And she walked away from him.

"Damn that woman..." he cursed, looking over at the staircase, knowing well that he would have to go and confront Y/n.

'Do I have to?' He thought, quickly waving the thought away, kicking himself for thinking like such a coward.

Vilkas sighed and made his way to her door, preparing himself to do the polite thing and knock on her door, but he soon heard the sobs coming from the other side of the door. The man quickly felt his heart drop into his stomach, hearing her be so hurt, so fragile, and with every failed dating endeavor, he would always poke fun at it. What a fool he was... Was he a man or just an immature boy? Gods, even Farkas knew how to treat a lady... how to be polite to everyone he met.

He had decided to look past his past failures and address the matter at hand, Y/n was upset and he was going to make it better.

"Y/n?" he called softly, ear pressed to the door.

The sobs stopped with a sniffle and an exhale and within a few moments, she answered the door with bloodshot, puffy eyes.

"What do you want? Come to gloat?"

"No... I'm sorry... can we talk?"

The way her face became a blank slate terrified him, but he tried to maintain his composure.

"I have nothing to say to you."

She began to close the door again, but he stopped her.

"Please, Y/n."

He watched her take a shaky breath and let it out in a sigh.

"Fine."

And she walked across the room, not bothering to open the door for him.