Vilkas | The Only Exception

Title: The Only Exception

Word Count: 4697

Pairing: Vilkas x Dragonborn! Harbinger! Reader

Requested?: Not entirely but I do have two beloved readers who wanted another Vilkas one-shot, so here it is lovelies. Ignea_Hotbrew and EmanuelaAresu this is for you two :)

Summary: The story of a man who doesn't believe in love realizes that he is falling in love.

Prompts: tumblr user writings-of-a-hufflepuff has some lovely prompt lists and the prompt I used is from Prompt List #2 (#61).

Note: HIHI I missed writing y'all!! This is a long one so please enjoy!! I checked the history on the google doc this was written on and I've been working on this since 2020! Which is just insane to me. I love all of you who've taken the time to read just one of my fics. Thank you and please enjoy!

Love had never been very important to Vilkas. Sure, he loved the camaraderie the Companions had, but it wasn't family. Farkas understood family, and how to love, so when Farkas announced his engagement to Feyna, it didn't phase Vilkas.

Though, it was certainly a wake-up call for Y/n, who had been their Harbinger for the past two years since Kodlak had passed on to Sovngarde. And this phased Vilkas.

He watched her smile back at Farkas, but he saw the heartbreak in her eyes. She had always spoken about wanting to be married by now. To be loved by now. And she was watching it slip through her fingertips.

"We'd love it if you all came to our ceremony next week!"

Farkas shouted, pulling Feyna into his side.

Cheers erupted from the Companions, all hoisting mugs of mead toward the couple. Aela then began a speech about Farkas, but Vilkas hadn't bothered to listen as Y/n's face did not match her actions.

"Y/n?"

Vilkas caught her saddened eyes.

"Are you alright?"

It was the sudden change in her face that shattered her facade of peace.

"Of course, no need to worry Vilkas."

But that did not answer his question, but he knew that she wouldn't answer him, not in her current state.

"To Farkas!" the others answered, quickly following suit.

And as it turns out, it would be much harder to garner her attention.

___________________

It was a quieter day in Whiterun, and Y/n had deemed it her day off and told the Companions to spend the day as they saw fit.

This only piqued Vilkas's interest, as he saw his beloved Harbinger don something other than the armor she normally adorned. It was a soft beige tunic, half-tucked into her cloth pants, and with her boots laced up. Even her hair was styled a bit differently, the hairs she usually kept from her face, were now loose and free...

"Where are you off to today, Y/n?"

Vilkas asked, catching her at the front door.

"Vilkas!"

He watched as her body tensed at the sound of his voice.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you, I just know that today we are free to take a break from our daily training, and well you seemed dressed up-"