Chapter 39 - Painkiller

TAMED XXXIX- PAINKILLER

THE argument outside escalated into a violent confrontation, with crashing sounds and smashing of objects.

My heart sank at the sudden realization that the voice I heard belonged to someone I knew all too well. My mind tried to convince me that it was just a product of my drunken state, but deep down, I knew the truth. It couldn't be her, not after that special occasion of her life with the man she loves. The thought of seeing her again filled me with a pain so deep that it felt like a physical weight on my chest.

So go ahead and break my heart again
Leave me wonderin' why the hell I ever let you in

Are you the definition of insanity?
Or am I? Oh, it must be nice
To love someone who lets you break them twice'

Demonyong kanta! Sinipa ko 'yong radyo ni Trina hangga't sa tumigil ito at makalas sa saksakan. Muting the radio didn't do much. It was as if turning off the music only amplified the noise of the voice outside, making it harder to ignore. Their heated argument reached a fever pitch, with insults and threats flying back and forth like deadly arrows.

"What part of no don't you understand?! You're not taking Zamantha anywhere! She's not a property that you can just claim whenever you want!"

"Don't make this harder than it already is, you're not her keeper, Miss Muego! Let her decide for herself!"

"Professor Sandoval, if you don't leave now, I'll have to call the police and have you escorted out!"

"I know she's in there! Zamantha!" The door kept opening and slamming shut with a loud bang following that scream. "Let me in or I'll break down this door!"

Bakas pa sa boses ni Trina ang pagtitimpi hangga't sa hindi na rin niya kinaya ay pareho na silang nagpalakasan ng boses, walang hinang sinisigawan ang isa't isa.

"Professor Sandoval, you're being disruptive and disturbing the peace. Please be considerate of the people who are already sleeping! If you don't stop, I will have to call security to handle the situation!"

"Don't you dare try to stop me, Miss Muego! I'll do whatever it takes to get her out of here! You're a bad influence on her, and I'm not going to stand by and let you keep her here!"

"You have no idea what you're talking about! Zamantha is safe with me, and she's free to stay here as long as she wants! So back off and leave us alone! Leave now, or I'll call the police!"

"Madali akong kausap, Miss Muego! Give me Zamantha now! I'll leave you alone and let you have your peace! Don't you see what you're doing to her? You're changing her, ruining her! Let her go with me!"

"You're not fooling anyone, Professor Sandoval. We all know your true intentions here! Hindi na fair 'to, stop pretending that you're here as Zamantha's professor and her family's trusted friend!"

"I don't give a damn about what you think, Trina!"

Sana pala hindi ko na lang pinatay iyong radyo. The voices turned into piercing screams, like a horror movie soundtrack coming to life right outside my door. Akala ko noong una ay imahinasyon ko lamang ang lahat, hangga't sa bumukas iyong pinto at brutal na naghilaan pa silang dalawa.

"Zamantha is not yours to take, Sandoval! She's here with me and she's staying here for the night! So please, just leave us alone!"

"You're such a. . ." Professor Sandoval's voice trailed off as she barged inside. "Just let me in, Miss Muego!"

"Please lumabas ka na! May party ka hindi ba? Engagement to be exact? Wala bang honeymoon 'yon?! Alam nating pareho kung bakit siya nagkakaganito, dahil 'yon sa 'yo! Zamantha trusted you, looked up to you, and what did you do?! You used her vulnerability to manipulate and control her! You're not her savior, you're her abuser, Sandoval! Stop giving her false hope and let her move on!"