Chapt. 15

"Boys, it's time to come in." Merida called marching through her back door, "You've got homework," She spotted them in the corner of the yard, huddled together. "What are you doing?" She approached trying to see around their bushy hair. They kept jostling each other blocking her view.
"Alright, let me through," She picked up Harris and Hamish by the back's of their shirts to reveal a black cat crouched in the corner, hissing at the boys.
"Where'd the cat come from?" She asked, narrowing her eyes at the boys. They shrugged in unison. She sighed and dropped the two next to Hubert. "Get inside and get started on your homework,"
"But," Harris pointed to the cat.
"I'll take care of it, now get going. You don't want mom to come get do you,"
The triplets tripped over each other in their dash to house. Merida knelt slowly. The cat was still hissing, it's hair standing up.
"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you," She said gently holding out her. She got three inches away from it before it cried and swiped at her. "Okay, okay," She drew her hands back, "I'm only trying to help you. I'm sorry if my brothers hurt you. They mean well, but they don't get the concept of playing nice,"

It was still looking at her with venom in its yellow-green eyes. "What do want from me? If you don't let me help you we've never going to anywhere,"
It hissed again and she sighed. "Hold on," She got to her feet, "Stay right there,"
Suddenly she wanted to kick herself because she was talking to cat like it could understand her. Great, she was home talking to lost cat when any other time she'd be with friends. Just bloody great. She sighed again as she walked into the kitchen. Her mother had just returned from the store and was packing away the groceries.
"Hello dear,"
"Hi mom," She opened a cabinet standing on her toes to see the top shelf.
"While you're in there, mind putting these away?" Her mom passed a box of cookies for her.
"Do we have any fish?" Merida said placing the cereal on the shelf out of the boy's reach, but she knew they'd find a way to get it.
"Fish?" Her mother looked at her curiously.
"Yeah, like in a can or anything?"
"I bought some salmon, but what do want it for?"
"There's a cat in our yard. It keeps hissing at me so I figured a peace offering might make it stop,"
"It wasn't something the boys brought home, is it?"
Merida shook her head, "I don't think so. They looked like they found it in the yard...ah-ha!" She exclaimed in triumph pulling a can from one of the grocery bags.
"What are you going to do with it?"
"See if I can read the tag. Maybe it belongs to someone nearby,"
"Alright, but be careful,"
"It's a cat mom, not a bear," Merida said with a chuckle. Her mother gave an amused snort and continued putting away the groceries.

"Alright you little beastie," Merida said walking back the cat, "This should convince you I just want to help," The cat, which a moment ago was knocking around a bit of snow as suddenly alert again, looking at her with weary eyes. She opened the can using the pop-able lid and placed in-between them. The cat's gaze flickered from Merida to the can. Slowly, it approached the fish, sniffing curiously. It took one bite and then another. Merida knelt waiting for it finish. It ate about two thirds of the fish before it lifted its head. It meowed at her padding forward and rubbing against her calf. She scratched under its chin making it purr. That's went she noticed the red leather band around its neck.

"Wait a second I know you," She picked up the cat by the scruff of his neck. "What are you doing here?" She asked, as thought she expected it to answer. It meowed at her in an innocent manner.
"Let's go," She settled the feline into the curve of her arm and strolled back inside.
"Mom, I figured out where the cat's from," She called out making her way to the front room. She grabbed a scarf and jacket, "I may be a little while,"
The cats seemed perfectly content in her arms as she walked two streets over. She strode up a driveway and banged on the front door. It swung open almost instantly.

"Merida, what a pleasant surprise," Hiccup's voice told her that he wasn't surprised at all.
"Why was your cat in my yard?" She held out the Bombay. Hiccup blinked taking the cat.
"Was he?" Hiccup tried feigning surprise. "I'm so sorry. I didn't even know he was gone," He glared at the feline, "Toothless, what were you thinking bud? Going out in this weather,"
Toothless screeched at him.
"Don't give me that. What would have happened if Merida hadn't found you?"
The feline hissed at Hiccup and wiggled out of his hands, landing lightly on his feet and padding into the house, head held high.
"I really owe you one," Hiccup said turning his attention back the red head. "How about some cake to say thank you? My mom just made some,"
"What's going on Haddock?" Merida crossed her arm.
"Nothing's going on. Can't a guy say thank you to the person who saved his cat?"
"Fine," Merida said with a shrug, "If your cat ending up in my yard was nothing more than a coincidence then I'll be going now,"
"Wait, don't you want any cake?" Hiccup said gesturing inside.
"No, thank you," Merida turned around sharply walking down the driveway.
"But, hold on..." Hiccup stumbled after her, "It's still warm,"
"That's okay,"
"Wait," He caught her by the arm. She stopped and looked at him. He took a breath.
"Okay, I'll admit it. I placed Toothless in your yard,"
Merida stared at him, "Why?"
"Do I really need a reason to want to...oh!" Merida punched him in the gut hard before he could finish.
"Not a good time to be making jokes Haddock,"
"I got that..." Hiccup doubled over in pain, his voice wheezy, "That's the last time I try to make you smile,"