Tenacity

"Listen, Finn," said Zhen, taking a deep breathe and trying to not let the emotional turmoil inside her lace the words with resentment. "I'm an astronaut. I've always wanted to be an astronaut. And I'm just about to go on my first mission. I can't be involved in whatever this is. Anything criminal on my record will wipe out all the progress I've made."

"Zhen, there's something wrong here," Finn said. "The fact that they came after me proves it!"

"Finn, this MechSoft employee killed 11 prostitutes in the most gruesome and exacting way possible and was caught red handed," said Zhen, trying to get through to her. This obsession was getting out of hand. "The fact that he contacted you and MechSoft wants to know why isn't rocket science. What makes you think everyone involved in all of this is wrong?"

Finn kept quiet for a moment. It looked like she was in the same battle Zhen was with her emotions.

"Because he told me!" said Finn. "That letter that they failed to decrypt? He sent only one word, 'Framed'. They set him up, Zhen. And I want to know why."

"And you think a habitual murderer wouldn't lie straight to your face with little to no effort?"

"I admit. Most of it is just a gut feeling," said Finn, slightly defeated. "Instinct."

"The same instinct that led you to believe that anything good could come out of appropriating my idea and claiming it as yours?" asked Zhen, immediately regretting the low blow, but unable to take the words back.

Finn's face fell. That infuriated Zhen a little. Finn wasn't the victim here. She had no right to act as one.

"You took something away from me once," said Zhen, her voice low. Images of broken glass and blood clouded her vision. She lost the battle with her emotions. "I won't let you take anymore."

Zhen took her packed bags and headed for the door.

"You're leaving?" Finn asked, her voice breaking.

"I'm going home to see my sister and check up on my dad," said Zhen. "Whatever it is that's going on here, I can't be a part of it. You've got a week to let me know if you'll let it go or not. I'll figure out my next move when I get back."

Zhen had been home for two days and it was going great. On the day of the award ceremony, he didn't have a drop of alcohol. They'd celebrated together for the first time with him being sober the whole time. It had been the best father-daughter time they'd had since her mum had died. And now, two days into her stay at home, her dad hadn't so much as looked at a bottle of liquor. Even before greeting her when she got to the door two days ago, Akemi was telling her about their father's unexpected changes.

"When he came back, he poured everything down the drain," Akemi said as she helped Zhen with her bags. "Everything! Even the special bottles that he hid behind the bricks in the wall."

"Really? Even the 40-year-old scotch?" Zhen wondered.

"He started with that one."

"Woah."

"I was about to call the FBI."

"What? Why?"

"Because I thought maybe he was an alien or an impostor. But then I figured the FBI wouldn't tell me anyway. So, I'm waiting to see if he changes into a lizard or something when he thinks I'm not watching."

Akemi shrugged. Zhen laughed.

"I'm sure he's fine," said Zhen. "But we'll continue to keep an eye on him."

Akemi gave her a big hug when they'd got the bags in her room. "I'm glad you're home Zhen. I always miss you so much."

"Me too, little sis," said Zhen, hugging her back. "Well, you've got me for a whole week. We do everything you want."