Opportunity - Part 2

Zhen hang up. Well, that didn't go exactly as planned. It didn't matter. She just had to find a way to make it Finn's choice to leave. She'd start small. With a classic. The silent treatment. It was the beginning of the weekend, so they were, presumably, both going to be home for the next two days. Perfect for the silent treatment. Nothing like having a sulky, stone faced, passive aggressive, silent roommate to rile you up. She'd add broody to the list. Maybe she'd even tut a little every so often. In disapproval of Finn's actions in the common areas.

Sure, it was childish, but whatever. She wasn't going to give Finn the pleasure of good company. She wasn't going to engage in challenging, simulating, and enjoyable banter, while smoking weed and sneaking into restricted areas, watching the stars, and dreaming out loud. Zhen took a deep breath. She buried the memories and the feelings they brought with them. If she was being completely honest, it was a matter of life and death to get Finn out of this apartment. There was no way she could survive her again. Not this time. All the walls she'd built around her already had cracks in them just from seeing her. No. Finn had to go. No matter what.

Her silent treatment plan would have to wait until Finn left her room. She headed over to her own room and picked up the VR visor.

"Hey big sis!" said Akemi. "You're late."

"I'm sorry. But it's only by 5 minutes. Ready to eat my dust?" said Zhen.

Akemi giggled. "We play every Friday night and you haven't beaten me yet."

"Tonight, is the night! I can feel it." said Zhen, relaxing into her chair. "Set her up."

Akemi started the table tennis program and put on her AR glasses. She twirled the table tennis paddle in her hands and set her stance at the other end of the table. From Akemi's point of view, the ball and Zhen would be digital projections in her augmented vision, but she'd be moving around in the garage, making all the physical moves to hit the ball. It was a fun way to bond with the ten-year-old. Akemi served first.

"How's school?" asked Zhen after losing a few rounds.

"I made a new friend," said Akemi. "His name is Maxwell Pierce and he's building his curriculum around Geology. He wants to be a miner. In space."

Of course, he did. Finnegan's Engine had incited a wave of future asteroid miners. Zhen made a note of the boy's name. She'd later run a thorough background check on this person and set up a monitor bot in his system and ask Pearl, her AI, to keep an eye on him. Couldn't be too safe when it came to boys. Not when it involved her little sister.

"That's nice," said Zhen. "Did you figure out want you want to do?"

"Not yet," said Akemi. She stood up, missing Zhen's volley, concern etched on her face. "Does that mean I'm a failure, Zhen?"

"No, it doesn't." said Zhen. "It means you're an explorer. Your job is to explore as many things as possible until you find that one thing that you wouldn't mind exploring forever."

Akemi smiled and nodded. "I like being an explorer."

"That's all that matters," said Zhen. "Remember, everything you learn is useful. Even when you fail."

"I fail a lot," said Akemi, a bit sad.

"And that's awesome," said Zhen. Akemi looked up at her, uncertain. Zhen continued. "Failing is how the universe pushes us to be the best version of ourselves."

"It is?"

"It is," said Zhen with a smile. "Failing a lot means that you have more chances to learn how to get back up and try again. And the more times you practise that, the better you get at it, and the better you'll be at doing the most difficult things in the world."