Fortitude

It was their fourth and last day on the moon and they still hadn't got any closer to acquiring MechSoft's metal than the first day. Zhen was freaking out. She was basically a fugitive about to go back to Earth without anything to show for skipping town. Skipping Earth. Beside her, Finn sighed. They'd been walking towards the mess hall. Finn said that she had a plan. One that she'd been holding back on but was the only one she could think of as a last resort. It gave Zhen a flicker of hope. The barest of sparks. But that was enough. This was Finn. She trusted Finn.

"I can't believe you found a way to get it," said Zhen, excitedly. "And on the very last day too."

"Don't celebrate yet," said Finn.

"What? Why not?"

"Because I had to ask Darren to help."

Zhen stopped them both before they walked through the mess hall door. "Please say you're messing with me?"

Finn grimaced.

"But he's such a..."

"He's resourceful, Zhen," said Finn, quickly cutting her off. "He's the only one who could get us those tickets and get our seats back even after we cancelled."

"I thought you said it was because there wasn't anyone on the waiting list."

Finn sighed. "It's the moon. There's always someone on the waiting list."

"Why did you lie?"

"Same reason you didn't tell me about Art, back at Elk Grove High," said Finn, blushing now. "It was stupid. I'm sorry."

Zhen smiled. "You were trying to impress me?"

"Can we just get this over with?" said Finn, drowning in embarrassment. Zhen let her walk past her and towards Darren's table. She followed closely, her skin prickling at the thought of interacting with him again. She'd been hoping to avoid ever talking with him again for the trip's duration.

"Hello ladies," said Darren. Zhen's skin crawled. Every time he spoke, Finn felt like he was working an angle. She felt Finn stiffen in the chair next to hers. Zhen placed a hand on Finn's thigh and felt her relax a little bit. Darren continued talking. "I think I have something you both would like."

"What do you want for it?" asked Zhen, not bothering with niceties.

"I like you Zhen. I like people who know how to play this game," he said. Then he smirked. "Well, my request is simple. Too simple, really."

"What is it Darren?" asked Finn, her tone saying that she wasn't going to like the answer.

Darren sighed contentedly and sat back in his chair.

"The thing is, I don't think you two are an item," he said, his eyes sparkling. "I've been watching you. Finn, I think you just said you were, so you could avoid me."

"How is that any of your concern?" said Zhen.

"Well, I'm making it my concern. I have something you want; I want something in return," he said. Zhen folded her arms and waited impatiently for the hammer to fall. He took out a box that held a piece of metal the size and shape of a river pebble. "All I want for this, is a kiss. Just one."

"What?" asked Zhen, incredulously. "From which one of us?"

"No, that would be too easy," he said. He pointed at them both. "I want you two to kiss."

"Are you out of your mind?" scream whispered Zhen, moving close enough to be able to punch the douchebag. "This is harassment."

"No, Zhen," said Darren with a sickly-sweet smile. "This is a simple payment for something you two shouldn't even know about."