SANDALWOOD (for divination) - Part 3

Flying inside a loud box was a strange experience to Finn, but she wanted to stay near the girl who walked when she shouldn't have been able to. This girl fascinated her.

"Do you think you can remember where she is?" the voice belonged to a large man in the loud flying box with them. There were others with them. Two women and another man.

"It all looks different from up here," said Finn's new curiosity. The girl seemed sad. Uncertain. Finn didn't like that.

"Left," Finn whispered into the girl's ear. The strange words coming to her once more.

"Turn left!" the girl suddenly shouted.

"Straight," Finn whispered the strange words again.

"Straight on from here!" said her girl.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Okay."

Finn continued to whisper in her girl's ear, happy at the effect it was having on her. Her eyes shone with hope.

"There! I can see it!" her girl shouted in excitement. Finn wanted to clap at the enthusiasm and energy in her girl's voice. This was a wonderful game. It made her so happy. Happy enough to want to fly outside the noisy box and into the sun. So, she did. Just before she left the flying box, she caught more of those strange words. She revelled in them, letting their melody and rhythm wash over her like music as she soared into the blue sky.

"I don't see anything!" called back the one driving the loud box.

His companion replied. "I see her. Go down! Now."

Finn's eyes slowly opened. The boulder was still on top of her. The pain still crashing in waves through her. That wasn't what woke her up though. It was the rhythmic thumping that had reached her ears and had pierced through to her in her dreams. Her dreams. She tried to hold on to the strange images, but they quickly melted away as her focus was directed to the helicopter. She wanted to scream. To let them know she was here. That she needed help. That they needed to save her. But her throat was extremely dry. She could barely squeak, let along shout for help. It was alright though. The helicopter was slowing down. Soon, it was hovering just a few yards away from her, before coming down.

"Finn! Finn!"

Finn decided there and then that the sound of Zhen calling her name was the most beautiful sound she'd ever heard. A heavy lad lifted off her shoulders when she realised that she wasn't alone anymore. That she didn't have to be strong anymore. Or alone. She had Zhen now. Zhen had kept her promise and come back to her. And she'd kept hers. She was still alive. Still fighting.

"I'm here," Finn whispered, sure that Zhen couldn't hear her. She could barely hear herself.

Suddenly, Zhen was beside her, cradling her head. "You're going to be okay. You're going to be okay."

"Hello, Finn."

Finn looked up at the owner of the deep voice. He was wearing paramedic gear and carrying a large bag with him.

"Finn, I'm Scott," he said. "I'll quickly check you over and then we'll get the boulder off you."

"Yes, please," she whispered.

Zhen held Finn's hand through the examination.

Scott spoke up again after a while. "Toxins have been building up in your leg, Finn. If we lift this rock, those toxins will move up your body. I'm going to give you a shot of adrenaline to try and fight that. Is that alright?"

Finn nodded, squeezing Zhen's hand as Scott plunged the syringe into the IV drip he'd attached to her arm. Zhen squeezed her hand back and Finn felt the energy course through her just as the boulder was lifted off her foot. The relief of having that rock off her was unimaginable. That rock being lifted off her foot was the best thing she'd ever experienced. Her heart raced. Her mind blanked out in bliss. She was indescribably happy and grateful. If she had any water in her, she'd be sobbing right now. Crying tears of joy.