BERGAMOT (for control) - Part 3

Zhen and Finn were in the elevator at work the next morning, heading up to their office.

"You came home last night," said Zhen. "I thought you said you'd be staying over at Jesse's. Everything okay?"

Finn crumbled a bit, grateful that it was just them in the lift. "Jesse doesn't want us to do this."

"I thought Jesse wanted to bring MechSoft down even more than you did. Weren't those their friends killed to falsely accuse some guy as a warning to other potential whistle blowers?"

Finn shrugged. She's thought the same, but Jesse was adamant about wanting her not to go through with this.

"I'm sorry this is straining things between you two," Said Zhen.

They left the elevator and Zhen walked Finn to her desk.

"Are you really?" Finn asked with a little scoff. She wasn't in the best of moods.

"Do I wish I was the one sleeping next to you each night, feeling your warm breath against my skin? Yeah, I do," Zhen replied, nonchalantly. Finn almost got whiplash turning to face her. "But that doesn't mean I don't want you to be happy. To have someone who makes you feel good. Wanted. Loved."

Finn didn't know what to say to that. She looked into Zhen's eyes silently for a while before she awkwardly motioned to her desk. "I... uh..."

Zhen smiled forlornly and nodded. "Yeah, I'll let you get to work."

Finn slowly sat down and tried to let what Zhen had just said sink in. Zhen had inadvertently sparked a fire inside her that she didn't think she was able to put out. That she didn't want to put out. Jesse or Zhen? That fire was quickly burning away the uncertainty. But would she do it? Would she choose whatever doomed thing that was holding her and Zhen together? Would she really forsake whatever was blossoming between her and Jesse?

"Finn!" Jack called out, shattering her thoughts. "Just the person I was looking for!"

"Good morning, Jack," Finn replied with a smile, working to keep her composure. "What's up? How can I help?"

"I have some news."

"From the looks of it, good news?"

"Great news!" he said, beaming. "Gemini Ventures love what you and Jani have presented so far. Apparently, they were so impressed that they shared the documents around, and now they have some of the biggest investors on the planet chomping at the bit for more."

Finn stood up. "No way."

"Yes way." Jack laughed. "They even moved up their next meeting with you."

"They did?" said Finn.

She felt a slight apprehension building up inside her. Finn didn't think she'd have enough time for a rescheduled meeting. She'd taken the next week off to go on her lunar trip and a few days after to recover. The meeting was supposed to be held two weeks after that. If they moved it up, that would mean a few sleepless nights for her after the lunar trip. It would be constrictive.

Jack nodded. "As you know, they're in the final stages of transitioning into the Open Source space and they think your idea would be the best way to do it. They want to meet next week to discuss how to make that happen."

Time stopped. Blood was ringing in her ears. Finn thought she'd pass out. This was what she'd been working for all her life. Once she'd helped Gemini Ventures go open source, there would be nothing holding her back from starting her own company to help others join the open source space. And if they were happy with her work, Gemini Ventures would probably even help fund her. This was it. She was in the big leagues now. However, there was also that small issue of saving the world from a douche bag CEO who was hell bent on controlling the space faring industry and whatever else he could. Zhen walked over, saving Finn from the embarrassment of perfectly imitating a mannequin.