4

Kane and Abigail were hesitant about coming over but I reassured them we had a few spare rooms and they could have one, until they wanted to leave. In exchange we would need help around the farm. The fence needed to be finished and wheat was ready to be harvested. They agreed and followed me into the house. I showed them all their room and the bathroom. The farm runs on its own water system so as long as we had gas we had hot water. Straight away Kane chugged back a whole bottle of water, so did Abigail and James. Then they showered and I found them clothes. James would fit into some of Sam's stored clothes as he was a bit bigger. I gave Kane a mix of Caleb's clothes and Finns. Abigail was a lot smaller than me so we didn't have anything that fit her, I gave her a pair of my booty shorts and a hoodie. At least they were clean. We would do a run to town before next week and find her some appropriate clothes that fit. The apocalypse was not the time to wear booty shorts. After they all showered they came and sat outside. "We have two meals a day, breakfast and dinner" I told them. I figured they would be hungry so I'd made a plate with leftover food that had been sitting in the fridge. The fridge didn't work but it was colder than leaving things out on the bench. James ate the most while Kane and Abigail said they would wait till dinner. Then I asked them to tell me about themselves. Kane is 14 and Abigail is 15, James is 6. They were from the same city as us. They had tried to stay in Kane's house after his mum and dad turned. Abigail often stayed over on the weekends. Abigail was a foster kid, she and Kane had been friends since they met at 5. They had managed to stay in the small house until a week ago when they had been overrun by zombies. They had stayed in the car for a few nights until the zombies cleared then decided to leave the city. Just as they finished telling me their story Caleb and Sam got back. "Hey James" Sam said shocking us all. Turns out they had gone to the same school. Sam and James quickly got talking and disappeared into the house while Sam told him about the fence they were building. "I told them they could stay, as long as they helped out Dad" I told Caleb, he nodded understanding. Then started unloading the wood. Kane quickly ran over to help. Once that was done they spent the rest of the day finishing up the last of the fence. Sam and James also helped while me and Abi got to work on some of the wheat. The occasional strangler walking up to us or The boys was easy enough to kill. Soon the sun was setting as we headed back to the home. We had a proper dinner of chicken and vegetables, Caleb had cooked while Kane had worked on the fence. The fence would be finished tomorrow then we'd do a run to find clothes and weapons for Kane, Abi, and James. After dinner Sam showered then Caleb. Then we all headed to bed.