4. The Stolen Scone

The next morning you woke up in a somber mood. Although the previous morning has gone better then you expected, you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. It didn't help you slept through your alarm too.

As you rolled yourself out of bed, you knew today wasn't going to be fun. You sped through your morning routine hoping to still make it to work on time.

As you walked into the bullpen, you looked at your watch, 7:31. Only a minute late.

"There you are, Girl Wonder," Derek said as you walked past his desk to yours.

"Sorry, I woke up late but I'm here. I'm only a minute late," you said holding your hands up in defense.

"Pretty boy over here got 2 muffins and two coffees this morning and he won't share it with either of us," your head shifted from Emily, where the voice was coming from, to Spencer, where your eyes wanted to focus.

"Really? He did?" you let your eyes focus on him as you sat down at your desk.

"Yes, I did," Spencer said. He only said 3 words with his mouth but you could read what he really wanted to say in his eyes.

He'd got it for you, but he didn't want them to know that. So you worked on case reports for another thirty minutes before you both watched Emily and Derek wonder off.

It was then that Spencer held up the muffin boxes. He held the coffee up for you to grab, and you reached to meet his hand. "I got a blueberry and a chocolate chip. I figured you'd have to like at least one or the other."

You felt the smile rise on your cheeks as you saw how happy he was to bring you one.

"I like chocolate everything so I will take the chocolate chip."

He pushed the muffin across the desk and it flipped as it hit the break between your desks. You both broke into laughter as you watched it roll.

You reached to stop its rolling and focused as you opened it. "Thanks Spence."

You didn't even realize you had dropped the last letter of his name until he broke into an audible smile.

You caught yourself in your slip, "Oh, do you not like that? I'm sorry, I didn't mean too, it kinda just came out."

He didn't stop you as you rambled, he wanted to see how long you could go for. You finally stopped yourself and slowly lifted your head to meet his eyes.

"Only a few people call me that-" he started.

"Oh then I won't, I'm sor-" you began rambling again.

"No, I like it when you say it. It's cuter from you then JJ," he smirked as he reached to take a bite from his muffin.

"Okay, Spence," you said toying with his name on your tongue.

———-

"Good morning, Spence," you said setting a coffee down on his desk.

"Just a coffee this morning?" he questioned as he turned his chair to face you and the break in the desk.

"No, it's in my bag," you rolled your eyes as you sat down. "You're starting to get greedy, you know that?"

He shrugged his shoulders as his smile rose.

"I got you a scone. I got a chocolate chip and a blueberry. I figured to match the muffins from yesterday," you pulled the two pastries from your bag and set them on your desk.

"Which do you want?" you questioned.

"Which ever you don't."

"Is that always gonna be your answer?" you were getting frustrated. How were you ever supposed to know which to get? You leaned closer across the desk and raised your eyebrows.

"Yeah, probably," he leaned in too. There was still a good 2 or so feet between you but it was the closest you had been since you met him.

"Fine, I like chocolate so I will give you the blueberry," you said throwing the pastry across the two feet dividing you.

He didn't catch it, rather it hit him in the chest and fell into his lap. "Oh come on Spence, did you never play a sport? You really can't catch?"

"He was on the math team," chuckled Derek as he entered for the morning. Both your eyes broke contact and b-lined to Derek.

"Really?" you said with a coy smile as you looked back to Spence.

Spencer just shook his head as he looked back to his book below him, taking a bite of the scone he managed to unwrap.

You all went back to doing your own thing, you finished half your pastry and Spencer continued to eat his. You were focused on file below you until Spence leaned across the break in your desk to whisper to you.

You didn't move from where you were. You held your hand against the side of your head and just shifted at your neck so you could meet his gaze.

"You know, I prefer chocolate everything too," he held a playful smile on his face.

You dropped your hand from your head and sat up straight. "Then why did you always take the blueberry ones? I told you to take the one you liked!"

He shrugged his shoulders as he leaned back in his chair. "But you like the chocolate ones."

You picked up what was left of your scone and wrapped it back up. You threw it across the desk, "now give me the blueberry one."

"No," Spencer said throwing yours back at you. You caught it. For being on the math team he had a damn good throw. You threw it back, feeling a mischievous smirk snaking up your lips. He threw it back again. This time you set the scone down.

He furrowed his brow, confused what you were planning. As soon as the smirk completely raised on your face, you reached across the break in the desk to grab the blueberry one. Spence reached for your hand as you were grabbing his scone but he was too slow.

You began to say a snarky remark back at him as he reached for the stolen scone but Hotch interrupted, "Fight nice kids, or i'll have to ground you both."

You both sunk back into your chair and lifted a hand to stop from laughing. You bit your index finger to contain your laughs as Hotch finished walking passed.

When he finally was out of site, you dropped your finger from your mouth. You placed the stolen scone on the opposite side of your desk so he couldn't reach and tossed the chocolate one across to him, knocking his smirk off his face.

"With that reaction time, you were definitely on the math team," you chuckled as you unwrapped the stolen scone.