8. Four Little White Paws

When you pushed the door to your apartment open, you realized how big of a moment this was. You were letting him into the most personal part of your life, and you wanted nothing but for him to be part of it.

You pulled the key out of the door as you let Spencer walk past. He walked into your world and just looked to look around.

The first thing he noticed was the four bookcases. Although you couldn't read quite as fast as him, you did enjoy it.

The next thing he went to was how organized your kitchen was. He figured you liked to cook.

The last thing his eyes went to before he spoke up was the two bowls sitting on the floor, one filled with water, one with hard little circles of pet food.

"You have a dog?" he raised his eyebrows. "You had never mentioned a pet."

"No, not a dog," you locked the door and kneeled down on the floor before calling out, "psstst, Nova, come here."

He listened and watched as you tapped your fingers on the floor. He was still a little confused. Most cats don't come to their names anyways so it didn't make sense you were calling for a cat. But when he saw four little white paws and a bushy little brown stripped tail round the corner, he realized this cat did know its name.

You scooped up your little kitty as she greeted you with friendly chirps. As you stood up to meet Spencer once again, he looked at the cat.

"This is Nova," you explained. "She's my friend for when I'm home alone." You started talking in a baby voice, "she's my big bad protector isn't she, she fends off all the bad guys."

Spencer just listened to you. He thought your baby voice was cute, it was the first time he'd heard you talk like that.

"Oh god, i'm doing it aren't I," you looked up at him as you began to laugh, "It's so bad, I talk like that to her all the time. But its the only way shes understand me." You slipped into it once more.

"I think it's cute. Actually studies do show that animals actually don't know your talking to them until you change your voice. It's a level of classical condition. They connect the voice to affection so they learn that when you talk like that, they get affection. It's actually really interesting. You know... Pavlov," he knew he was rambling at this point, "and... the bells... and.. the dogs."

You couldn't help but laugh at him. He was rambling, but you adored listening to it.

"Do you want to pet her?" you stepped closer to Spence so he could reach Nova, who was still happily curled up in your arms.

Spencer hesitate a little, shifting his weight back as you stepped closer. You noticed and backed off a little, "What, are you scared?"

"No, i'm not scared," he said rocking his weight back forward so he didn't look so guilty. "I just never had pets as a kid, my mom-"

You felt yourself stand up straighter. Was he finally going to tell you? He saw the shift in your expression from smiley to curious as you set the cat back down.

You reached your hands out to hold his. "You can tell me Spence. You can trust me."

He started rocking, you could tell he was nervous. "I just don't want you to look at me different."

"Why would I? I mean I brought you to my apartment, literally one of the most personal things in my life, and let you meet my cat. That's like meeting my parents. If that doesn't show how much I trust you, I don't know what else will," you wanted him to understand just how much you cared about him, just how much you trusted him. But mainly, just how much you desperately wanted him to trust you too.