003

YOU WILL NEVER believe who walked into school today,” my best friend, Lennon, shrieked behind me as we walked to my room.

“I don't know, probably Camden Weston?”

She flung her backpack onto the rug as she hopped on my bed. “How did you know?”

“He’s literally my neighbor,” I told her.

“No way,” she tucked few strands of her curly ombre grey hair behind her ear. “I wonder why he came back.”

“Me too. But, who cares? He looks so good,” I sighed.

“Undeniably,” she rolled her eyes. “But he was the same guy who called you weird—”

“In eighth grade.”

“He still did,” she scoffed. “He constantly made fun of you, remember?”

“How can I forget? But it was a long time ago.”

“Whatever. Just know Hayley Griffin called dibs on him already.”

“Why is that not surprising?” I mused.

There was a knock on the door and shortly after, River popped his head in, “Noah’s here.”

“Okay,” I nodded, then turned to look at Lennon who was wiggling her eyebrows, “Oou. . . Noah. Cute Noah.”

“I thought he was nerdy?” I subtly reminded her of how she usually called him a nerd, chuckling and shaking my head.

“Why did Noah have to come now? We barely even talked!” Lennon groaned.

“I know,” I bit my lower lip. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault,” she pulled me into a hug, “I just really miss having you in school.”

“I do too, but hey, I’ve got great news—” I was about to tell her about my tics when she yelped, and only one thing could cause Lennon to react like that.

Coco.

I looked at Coco as she ran in, her eyes on Lennon.

“Come on, Lennon, you know she doesn’t bite.”

“Um, yeah, but—”

“Good luck with her.” I chuckled as I got off the bed and walked out of the room.

“Riley!” I heard her call, but I grinned wickedly to myself.

Lennon had an “occasional” fear of dogs. . . and animals in general. She blamed it on the fact that she was a product of an interracial marriage. Lennon was South African. Her dad was a mixed South African, while her mom was a white South African. She claimed that sometimes, she had a great love for animals, and sometimes, she just despised them.
Did that make any sense to you?
No? Exactly. The girl was just scared of animals.

“You look different,” was the first thing I said to Noah when I saw him.

“I don’t know, I think I look really good? Yeah, that’s because of my contacts,” he ruffled my hair, “Hey, Riley.”

“Hey. Did you really misplace your glasses?” I asked him.

“I’m not sure,” he licked his lower lip. “I’m sure it’s somewhere at home, but those two were fighting again yesterday, and I had to leave home for a while and couldn’t properly search for it.”

“Are you okay?” I leaned on the couch and watched him run his fingers through his long hair, “Yeah, why not? I—”

“I meant. . . I meant, about your parents.”

He looked at me, “Pretty much, yeah. I just need to get out of that house.”

“You turned 18 last month, didn't you?”

“Exactly,” he grinned. “And I’m making serious plans to get my own place. But, on another note, I brought donuts today. Let’s go,” he nodded towards the kitchen area where we worked most times.

One thing everyone knew I had love for were donuts. Donuts were the easiest things to bribe me with, so when Noah mentioned that he brought donuts, my stomach flipped in excitement.

I followed behind him as I listened to him go on about how he looked up some houses, but didn't find anyone that matched his taste. "I saw a house that was actually quite cheap and really beautiful, but you know the turn off? It had a damn pool and a converted garage."

I felt a tingly sensation run through my body, and I knew exactly what was coming. It was a premonitory urge, almost like an alert or warning to let me know that I was about to tic. It was a feeling I had no control over at all. The only thing that could make it  feel better was by expressing the tic.

I shrugged. Then shrugged again.

And again.

Noah was still speaking, but I couldn’t really hear him. He finally got to the island table where a box of donuts sat.

“Okay, so—”  He stopped and his eyes went soft when he saw me shrugging. He pulled out a chair for me to sit, “It’s okay,” he said softly. “You’re okay. It’ll pass really soon.”

It wasn’t long when I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. I felt relaxed and relief coursed through my body.

“Did the thought of donuts excite you?” His smile was small, and I chuckled, “I think so.”

“Have you ever thought about it this way?” He sat opposite me. “When you tic because something excites you, you’re able to figure out what truly excites you.”

I thought for a while before shaking my head. “No. I never thought of it that way.”

“It’s a bright side,” he grinned and opened the box of donuts, “I got the donuts so you’ll be able to work longer today."

I started to smile because I knew what he was talking about. Last Friday was hectic, hunger wouldn't let me pay attention conveniently, and I kept telling Noah I was hungry.

"I even went the extra mile by bringing you some orange juice.”

“You’re the best,” I chuckled.

“I hope you still say that after you see all the work you have to do today,” he smirked.

“I could swear I smelt donuts,” River came into the kitchen and rounded the marble island table, picking a donut from the box in front of me.

“Hey! Noah got these for me!” I tried, but failed to smack his hands away.

“I love you, Noah,” he said at the same time he kissed my forehead, then proceeded to head back to his room.

❀❀❀

What's one thing you love?