008

I SMILED AS I watched Camden work on getting a cone of ice cream ready for a little girl. She seemed a bit impatient as he scooped some ice cream into the cone, and was even jumping to see what he was doing. Camden added an extra scoop for her and she looked very pleased as she thanked him with a wide smile on her face.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t think I would have to work extra time today, I know you’ve been here for a while now,” he apologized as he made his way to where I stood when he was finally done with his shift.

True. I had arrived at the movies about an hour ago as me and Camden had planned to see a movie right after his shift. But he had to work extra time and so, we missed our movie.

“It’s okay, I understand. It looked like you got yourself a fan in that little girl you served last."

"I had to compensate her for making her wait," he said, gesturing with air quotes and I chuckled.

“You smell really good, by the way.”

“Thank you,” I felt shy all of a sudden, and so I tried to avoid his eyes.

“I know we missed our movie, but we can do something else, though,” he ran his fingers through his hair. “I don’t know, we could go to my place—  get something to eat, if that’s okay with you.”

I tried not to think too much about it—  I mean it was Camden, and his house was right next to mine.

“It’s literally beautiful in here,” I complimented the interior of Camden’s house. It was colored off-white with navy blue couches and dozens of soft-looking pillows.

“So, I made some chicken masala this afternoon, but I just need to warm it up. Make yourself comfortable,” he led me to the kitchen and I followed behind him.

I nodded, “Is it okay if I sit on the counter?”

“Sure, why not?” He smiled and I jumped unto the counter, watching him as he put a bowl into the microwave.

“So,” he turned to look at me, “what do you do? You know, now that you don’t go to school.”

“I guess I’m homeschooled?" I didn't know if I could call it that. "I have a tutor who comes to take me lessons everyday."

He nodded and dragged his eyes to mine and I saw him swallow. “I have to apologize. For being such an asshole to you then. I was so insensitive, and I clearly wasn’t thinking about how my words made you feel,” his eyes flickered with sobriety and he looked pleading.

“It’s okay,” I shrugged like it didn't matter. Maybe back then, it would have mattered, but so much time had passed I had almost forgotten the things he said.

“Yeah, but it wasn’t back then.”

“It’s a weird disorder,” I stated. “People aren’t just going to understand it’s a disorder when they see a girl whose leg is constantly jerking. Some teachers aren’t going to understand that it’s a disorder when their student just bursts out snapping their fingers. It takes some kind of... schooling.”

“I remember Mrs. Anderson...” His voice trailed off and I nodded, “She sent me to the principal’s office because she thought I was trying to be funny.”

“She was used to stereotyping and name dropping. No one really liked her,” he had a small smile on his face. “I don’t get it. What causes it?” He asked, his eyes soft.

“There’s not an exact cause for it. It’s just a problem with how the nerves communicate with certain areas of the brain. So it makes you want to do… the most random things.”