028

CAMDEN WAS PROBABLY on his way back from school already. We had agreed to meet up once he was back from school— he mentioned something about both of us going out to grab some stuff.

I sighed in frustration as I tried to swipe my lip gloss across my lips but was failing woefully due to my shoulders acting on their own accord. The Fenty lip gloss was probably the most valuable make up product I owned. Thankfully, I didn’t buy them with my own money. I stole it from Lennon who definitely had no regard for its worth, however, I doubted she got it with her own money either. By the time I felt my muscles relax, I went back to applying my lip gloss. There was something about lip gloss being better than a lipstick, but I didn’t know how many people would agree with that.

There was a knock on the door, and I hadn’t even answered when Mom poked her head in, “Noah said something about having some work to do after school today, so he won’t be coming.”

I pretended to be surprised, “Really? Oh, yeah, I think he mentioned that to me too.”

“Alright, then. I guess the day’s off for you,” she closed the door.

From my bed, Coco snarled, and I looked at her through the mirror. I didn’t need her body language to tell me that she probably just called me a liar. I chuckled and walked to her, “Shut up, are you calling me a liar, huh?” Coco sat up, her tail high as she wagged it. I took her in my arms while she happy barked. It was then my phone vibrated, indicating that I had a text.

Skipped lunch at school today, I’m going to stop to get something to eat. Do you want anything?

It was a text from Camden, and I replied,

A Mountain Dew slurpee would be nice.

Gotcha. I’ll see you in a few.

The next time Camden texted me, it was about ten minutes later, informing me that he had arrived. Racing down the stairs and after letting Mom know I was leaving, I went out to see Camden’s car parked in front of the house.

“Hey, you,” I greeted as I got into the car.

“What’s up? Shall we?”

“Yeah,” I nodded and he started the car. “I didn’t know we were skipping lunch.”

Camden chuckled, “Hey, it’s not that serious. I didn’t like what was served.”

“What was it?"

“Greasy burgers and some overly diluted juice.”

“Greasy burgers aren’t always so bad, though,” I laughed.

“Yeah, not the one served at school,” he pointed to the slurpee in the cup holder beside him, “That’s for you.”

“Thank you so much,” I replied, taking the slurpee and pushing the straw into my mouth. “So, where are we going?”

“I’ll be honest, I wanted to take you out on a proper date, but I did my calculations last night, and I don’t have much.”

I frowned, “Now, I feel bad for making you get me a slurpee.”

“Shush, you didn’t make me, plus, that wasn’t a problem at all,” he poked my cheek.

“Besides, it doesn’t matter if you take me out on a date or not. I just like spending time with you.”

“I like spending time with you too.”

“You haven’t told me where we’re going,” I reminded him.

“We’re going to see a movie when we get back. Really low on snacks, so we need some kind of refill.”

Honestly, just watching movies with Camden sounded better than going out.
When we got to the supermarket, Camden pushed the cart and followed behind me as I walked through the aisles, thinking of what to put in the cart, “You aren’t making things easy for me telling me to take whatever stuff I think we might need,” I told Camden.