035

I PACED BACK and forth in front of River's room where he slept with Renée, stopping myself each time I tried to knock, because my request was rather odd at this time of the night. It was about thirty minutes after ten— ten minutes since I got off the phone with Noah. Not knowing what to say after he broke the news about his parents getting a divorce to me, I quietly told him to go to sleep and that I would be at his house the next day. But after the call, I began to feel unsettled. Like I had to go and be with him, and that was what I planned on doing— except I couldn't drive.

I paused and knocked the door in front of me, hoping River or even Renée would answer, and I proceeded to knock again when there was no answer.

"Who's there?" I heard River call groggily.

"R- River?" I called back quietly, and I heard shuffling around before the door was opened. River stood in front of me, squinting his eyes, "Are you okay?"

"No," I shook my head. "I mean, yeah... yeah, I am," I ran my fingers through my hair nervously, "It's just... I need, to get to Noah's. He's not okay. But you don't have to wait. I just need to get there," I rushed. 

"Slow down. What's wrong with him? It's alright, I'll take you."

"I'll come with!" Renée called sleepily from inside.

Silence filled the air as River drove— well, except for when I was giving him the directions to his place. I bit my lower lip, unconsciously trying to plan what I would say to Noah, but nothing was coming to mind. I could only hope that he hadn't done anything stupid, but knowing Noah, a part of me was at peace because I knew he was most likely calm at the moment.

Renée looked at me from the front seat, "What's wrong with Noah?"

"His parents. . . they're getting a divorce."

"Oh no," Renée's voice was soft, and River looked surprised. 

It was easy to think he should be happy that they were getting a divorce. After all, he had always complained about their constant arguments, and it clearly was affecting him, but a divorce just meant that all hope was lost. It was official that they weren't willing to work out their differences, and nothing could be done about it. Whether he complained about them or not, there was something about knowing your parents wouldn't be together anymore.

"Do you want us to wait?" Renée asked when River reached Noah's house, and I could see that he was amused by the building in front of him.

"No," I shook my head. "It's fine. I'll- I'll stay with him."

Renée nodded while River said, "Okay."

I briskly walked to the front door and rang the doorbell. I had no idea if Noah's parents were home. I'd never met them before, and I hoped it was Noah who would get the door in order to avoid any awkward situations. 

It was too late, though. because the woman who opened the door was beautiful. She was slender with brown hair flowing past her shoulders. Her eyes matched the color of her hair, but were also shielded by glasses, though it didn't shield the redness in her eyes from showing.

She had to be Noah's mom.

"Hi? Who are you here to see?" She asked, and I passed a small smile at her, "Hi, I'm Riley. I'm here to see Noah."

"Are you a classmate?"

"No. He's my tutor." She looked surprised, but she nodded and stepped away from the door so I could go in.

When I got to Noah's room, he was sprawled across his bed, a hand flung across his forehead.

"Noah?" I called as I closed the door behind me, and he his eyes immediately flew open, "Riley? I thought you said you were coming tomorrow."